We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Chickens decimated my strawberrys

Options
avantra
avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My wife forgot to shut the chickens enclosure gate this morning and they were left to their own to play in the garden all day:eek:

When I came back tonight I found that my big five wooden boxes with the established strawberrys were completely decimated.

They took the plant tops off (the leaves) and dag around in the compost. The plant roots are still firmly in the ground.

Do you think I have a chance of having any strobes comes next summer?

I am so pizzedoff :mad:
Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.

Comments

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our chooks always do the same,but this time of year the SB's die back anyway and they save you the job of clearing the dead leaves.
    Last year mine came back really well-think all the chooks ahem droppings as they chook about seem to do the plants good lol.

TBH this time of year we let them out over the beds as they give them a good clear out and dig over and the established plants seem to be ok, but our garden isn't that tidy at the best of times lol.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Spirit_2
    Spirit_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My chooks are keen gardeners and have eaten all of the rhubarb leaves again. There is nothing to be seen. Same last year and it grew again this year.

Cabbages however:(
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    You might lose a couple but I think they will recover. Just ensure the roots are well covered. They should die back quite a bit over winter anyway. I have just cut back all the dead or brown foliage off mine. I don't know where you live, but you can always lay fleece over them if you are concerned but I don't think you need be. Your chooks probably found lots of snail and slugs overwintering in the leaves so have done a good clearing job there too!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport