What garden shed?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
12 replies 1K views
devmccdevmcc Forumite
216 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi all...
Just moved house and have got my first ever garden!!! I AM VERY EXCITED indeed...
I am going to set up a small veg patch - about 4*12ft and love all the tips on here.. cant wait for these frosts to go.. will have a lawn, a couple of trees and some plants...
Anyway - to get to the question - I am looking for a shed - any tips on what I should get... size wise/timber wise - with/without windows?? Any help at all would be superb.. also, where is best to buy??
Thanks all so much..

Replies

• heather38heather38 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    i got one from wicks £99 8x6 it depends what you want to use it for.
  • PoppycatPoppycat Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you keep shed well maintained it should also last years, others is as good as new and its about 10 years old, I regularly put stain on it and keep it off the ground by putting slates underneath,
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Having bought one myself 2/3 yrs ago, whatever size you buy, you will wish you had a larger one. Having said that, what I would say to you is this, garden tools can be expensive. yes I know they can be bought from Wilkinsons etc, but you only get what you pay for. If I were you, I would start making regular trips to your tip/recycling centre. Those I am familiar with have a barrel or drum, with old garden tools at £1 each. Generally they are from folk who may have either died, or no longer able to use them. Quite often you can find really good items. Make sure the stale of anything hasn't started to rot. Shake them a bit to feel if the head is on firm. Don't get anything that is too heavy. Garden forks are in two sizes, border forks which are smaller and lighter than the others. Whatever you decide, after using them, clean off any surplus soil/mud and wipe with an oily rag, this helps to keep the tool in good condition. Keep a can of WD40 for use on secuters/shears etc.
  • alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just one point, get a tongue and groove boarded shed rather than shiplap if you can, they look better, wear better and are more solid.
  • jap200jap200 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    alanobrien wrote:
    Just one point, get a tongue and groove boarded shed rather than shiplap if you can, they look better, wear better and are more solid.

....and ivy can't push it's way under the slats!!
  • alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    jap200 wrote:
    ....and ivy can't push it's way under the slats!!

Yes ! absolutely i forgot about that one, happened on an old shed i had and eventually snapped some of the cross boards
  • LorianLorian Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    alanobrien wrote:

For sure. It's easier to paint too, and harder to break in.

And also make sure there is NO chipboard in the roof or floor.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not claim to be a gardener, however, this last two days, it has been less cold, no rain, and almost sunny. Because of this, I've been outside in the garden & shed since 8.30am doing quite a few odd jobs and after showering, I've just sat and admired what I've achieved, quite satisfying. My wife has also been out with me and she has done a few things. The result is that we feel much better for it. No daytime TV. No computer. No shopping. So, Devmcc, enjoy your garden. But don't forget. You need a seat in the shed so you can hide away when it rains, and a deckchair for those days when most jobs are done and you can sit and admire your efforts.
  • Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    islandman wrote:
    I do not claim to be a gardener, however, this last two days, it has been less cold, no rain, and almost sunny. Because of this, I've been outside in the garden & shed since 8.30am doing quite a few odd jobs and after showering, I've just sat and admired what I've achieved, quite satisfying. My wife has also been out with me and she has done a few things. The result is that we feel much better for it. No daytime TV. No computer. No shopping. So, Devmcc, enjoy your garden. But don't forget. You need a seat in the shed so you can hide away when it rains, and a deckchair for those days when most jobs are done and you can sit and admire your efforts.

Oh yes you are :beer: if you notice the weather and have a vague interest in the garden and its given you "that" feeling then that makes a gardener in my book :beer:

Regarding sheds, devmcc, we bought a shed about two years ago, 8 x 10' I think anyway, we looked around quite a bit, garden centres mostly, plus one place which sells sheds and a wood yard. In the end we bought from a garden centre. We're we are, once you've researched you find out that all the garden centres sell the same sheds from the same company.

Maybe its different elsewhere but thats what we found. Also when we bought ours. Other halfs parents had bough these previously, they have the same size shed but the door is in a different place, so depending on your layout bare in mind you might be able to alter things to suit you.

The parents have their door in the middle with windows either side, we have ours at the end, with a run of windows down the side.
  • We had a 8x6 Shed already here, so made do with that fine for a year or two. It always leaked through the walls..not the roof...strange one..
    ...anyway Mr Old helped a friend build a large workshop...took ages but he loved it so now the Shed was history in the making. The workshop is fantastic and Mr Old spends lots of time on any wood projects so much so he has recently completed a cutting workshop next to it because even that was not large enough and its around 12x10 and the cutting one is 10x8. I had to loose one of 'my' greenhouses but Mr. Old is a happy bunny, that was important so worth the sacrifice. So best to think very carefully what you intend using it for and the space that you really WILL need is so important.Mrs Happy
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals