Should i pay for my own vehicle's damage?

I was involved in a car accident last week, i was at fault and my excess is £500. The other driver is claiming through my insurance (and trying to claim for personal injury) which i am guessing will come to over £500.
The damage to my vehicle is £700. My insurance company has said that i should go through my insurance to pay for my own vehicle too as the amount of a claim doesn't affect how much my policy will go up by, the policy is affected by a claim in general. Is this correct? Should i get my insurance to pay for my car too and just pay my excess?

Comments

• I suppose the £700 could be a drop in the ocean compared to whatever medical treatment and compensation could go the way of the person claiming against you.

I think I'd just let the insurance company take care of the whole thing, and when you get your renewal through the door in a few months' time have a good bash at shopping around to get the cheapest quote possibly.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, claim. A claim is a claim, and the total amount involved is unlikely to materially impact the cost of any future policy (or at least, a few extra £00 will not affect it materially).
  • If you have to pay £500 excess on the repair to your own car, get prices yourself to have it repaired. A £700 insurance repair will be using new parts from the dealer, whereas depending on the damage, you can pick up parts from the scrap yard or other car part places. You might find that you can get it repaired yourself for less than the cost of the excess.
  • AndrewSmith
    AndrewSmith Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    No point in doing this as the premiums will still increase due to the injury claim of the other driver. It's your policy so you should also benefit by having your car professionally repaired. The other driver looks to be screwing your insurer for damage and injury so why shouldn't you get what you are entitled to under your comp policy?
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    because it'll still cost them £500 excess to repair the damage to their own car. They were at fault so they pay the first £500 of the repairs, so they're not going to be benefitting from the policy
  • Remember that you do not pay the excess on the TP claim so if you can repair your own vehicle for below your excess it may be worth doing.

That said, for an insurers garage I am very surprised that the repairs are only £700 given that whilst labour rates are low everything is done by the book and to A1 condition - simply replacing the front wing on my VW ended up at £1,500
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I agree shop around and get prices of used lights and trim, That may cut the costs dramatically.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    just dont let it go to any of howard basfords repair places, it will come back worse on the paintwork than it went in.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure