Wonky bottom teeth

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
3 replies 1.6K views
RoxyfoxRoxyfox Forumite
39 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
Basically I have very good teeth, I don't drink tea or coffee, I don't smoke, I don't like fizzy drinks, okay admittedly I'm lazy about flossing (hey tbf my dentist never told me to, I didn't realise you were supposed to I thought it was an ocd thing). Never had a filling blah blah, I used to have an nhs dentist in my home town and the most they ever had to do was scale my teeth and they did cap my front tooth (chipped it as a kid) but i prefer it without a cap so i don't even require that now. Thing is before I hit 18 I asked if I could have my bottom teeth braced, my teeth have never been braced and I have a little bit of overcrowding. She refused claiming it was cosmetic, as I suspected they are getting worse and harder to clean, they are now getting really crooked (just these two teeth one is forward the other back) I'm worried about them getting poorly that and tbh i don't usually care about tooth imperfections but they're not 'cute' now. As they just get worse I don't understand why she wouldn't give me braces as a preventative method I have never cost the nhs barely anything.

My mum is increasingly suspicious of the nhs dentists in stoke, both my parents have suffered bad dentistry so I'm wary of getting a different dentist but I'm not sure I trust her either. I was thinking of getting braces or if I could find a practice in the west Midlands an inman aligner
I am not sure if it would be cheaper to pay in instalments directly or get dental insurance and which company is cheapest. I read the article but I couldn't really work it out as I don't know whether braces are 'major work' and other than that I don't need much else other than maybe a polish.

Also would I be safer with a private practice? If anyone has any info on inman aligner in the west midlands or north west that'd be fab and any payment plans or insurance you can recommend would be great too as I am a pitiful student :(

Replies

• brook2jackbrook2jack Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once you get past 18 you cannot get braces on the nhs unless you have very severe problems that need surgery and orthodontics combined in a hospital setting. Below 18 the nhs has very strict criteria over what it will cover and problems have to be more than a bit of crowding.

Any brace work will have to be done privately and as far as I know no insurance will cover braces, most policies specifically exclude braces.

first things first, if you are young, need regular scaling and don't floss regularly you need to drastically improve your cleaning. You must floss everyday. If you can't keep your teeth properly clean without a brace on , it would be madness to fit one as all sorts of problems may start.

Conventional (train track) braces will start £1800 to £2000 and inman alligners etc will be more expensive still £3000 upwards.

All brace work needs permanent retenton ie you will wear retainers every night or have wires cemented to the back of your teeth permanently.

If you are a poor student, concentrate on the basics now flossing etc and save up when you are in work as no one will offer you credit until you have some income coming in.
  • adelightadelight Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It does sound cosmetic and tbh the nhs didn't wanna spend thousands moving your two bottom teeth just in case they moved a little more into a difficult position. Firstly I would talk to your dentist about how you can improve your hygiene to keep those teeth healthy, sounds like flossing would be a good idea.
    If you really want braces it will cost you a lot of money (inc aftercare like retainers and time off work think £5k+) and your teeth will move afterwards unless they actually remove something to stop the overcrowding. It's hard to get perfectly straight teeth on the bottom. I had braces (in west mids by one of the best private orthodontists on the nhs but my teeth were BAD) on my bottom teeth and they were taken off while they were still slightly wonky, wore retainers for years and they still moved a bit. After braces you may find your teeth move into different positions that you like even less. If they're a big enough problem to you that they're worth £5k to sort out and you have the money easily available then go for it, but otherwise just floss better.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • They aren't cosmetic, it's pushing my gum line down and there just isn't room for those teeth, I wouldn't care if it wasn't getting worse! As for flossing I am trying to now, but as I said my dentist never once suggested it was necessarily where else do you get dental advice from as a kid geez.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals