Refusal to supply previous account details

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
1 reply 850 views
Justine08Justine08 Forumite
1 Post
Hi - I have recently sent out a few letters using the templates provided on this site to request copies of the credit details of accounts I have previously had but no longer have any paperwork for (I also enclosed a cheque for £1 as advised). One of these was for a credit card account with the Bank of Scotland which was only cleared in January 2011. The Bank of Scotland wrote back to me, enclosing my original letter and cheque refusing to supply me with the information saying something very similar to... 'Section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act only applies to open/existing accounts and as there is no current agreement between ourselves we are not obliged to provide information. The letter on this site makes reference to Sections 77-79 which BOS made no reference to. Has anyone else received a response similar to this and if so was there a way around it? They must have some legal obligation to provide me with information on an account I held for years? Any help/advise greatly appreciated.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They must have some legal obligation to provide me with information on an account I held for years?

No. The act you have made reference to only applies to debts still outstanding. Once the debt has been repaid and facility closed, then the act no longer applies to it.

You sent the wrong letter basically. You should have sent a subject access request and enclosed £10.

However, you dont need your agreements to make any complaint. That is just an internet myth or for people that maybe havent been mis-sold but are looking if there is a way to get back money. If you have a complaint, then you make it. You dont need to see your agreements.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals