BT Box on house?

pink_star Forumite Posts: 60 Forumite
Hi, have tried looking for this on the site but can't seem to find anything?!

I have a BT box on the front of my house, which is not that big, but has all of my streets wires connected to it in masses of bundles. Mine is the only house in the terrace with it & it's really untidy, with wires & clips all over the front of my house & down the front wall, not a good look for when I sell. Some of the engineers knock when they need to use it, others don't bother. I'm not even actually with BT! I hate the thing & want it moved. I have contacted BT via email but have had no responses. Basically wondered if I could charge them rent hehe...:confused:

Thanks for any replies.


  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Forumite Posts: 3,732
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    was it there when you bought the house?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Forumite, Ambassador Posts: 45,964
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    I know someone that has a post box in her front wall. Royal Mail pay her six first class stamps a year! and refuse to consider a rent increase.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of
  • pink_star
    pink_star Forumite Posts: 60 Forumite
    It was there when I bought the house, but it was no where near as big or messy as it is now!

    omg @ a post box & 6 1st class stamps a year, what a joke :eek:
  • Contact BT and ask them about the Wayleave agreement. Best to phone, they will just ignore your emails if it's anything to do with them paying YOU money. ;)
  • pink_star
    pink_star Forumite Posts: 60 Forumite a reply from BT saying an engineer will come & inspect & then probably move it!

    Thanks for the info Lee, been looking on net & can only find wayleave agreement relating to private rural land with BT, but will give them a call anyways, just in case :)
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Forumite Posts: 5,494
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You will probably find your land deeds give BT permission to site its equipment there (or its not legally part of our property - if its outside our wall) - especially if was there before you purchased the property.

    Otherwise, as others say you may be entitled to what is called a 'wayleave' payment, but it won't be much if you are.

    You can always ask BT if there is a wayleave agreement in existence.

    BT Wayleaves Scanning Office
    Communications House
    Harlescott Lane
    SY1 3AQ
    phone telephone: 0800 581525

  • pink_star
    pink_star Forumite Posts: 60 Forumite
    Many thanks Sunil :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards