We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

when do I start to grow ????

Hi , I would love to grow veg etc, but when do I start to plant seeds .
We do not have a green house, or space indoors but have a free standing green house shelf thingy (with plastic cover) that we attempted last year but really it was late summer just to make the children understand where things grow from.Must ammit the slugs / snails ate so much (any ideas to stop this) Would love to grow all the usual common things plus potatoes. Please help me to get atarted this time . Also I dont have a big garden just a 'flower' boarder but have lots of tubs and containers. What grows best in what. Thank you Tracey

Comments

• smk77
    smk77 Posts: 3,669
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    tracey04 wrote:
    Hi , I would love to grow veg etc, but when do I start to plant seeds .
    We do not have a green house, or space indoors but have a free standing green house shelf thingy (with plastic cover) that we attempted last year but really it was late summer just to make the children understand where things grow from.Must ammit the slugs / snails ate so much (any ideas to stop this) Would love to grow all the usual common things plus potatoes. Please help me to get atarted this time . Also I dont have a big garden just a 'flower' boarder but have lots of tubs and containers. What grows best in what. Thank you Tracey

Have a read through recent posts on here. This for example

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=195100

There is also another post (can't find it at the moment but was from the past week) that has a link to a site that explains when to plant what.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hi

I'm starting to sow seeds in John Innes seed compost in egg-boxes, one seed per hole, standing them on the kind of plastic trays that Tesco sausages are sold in and with a little plastic cover over that we bought a pork joint in (washed of course). I'm keeping them on the kitchen worktop! At present I've just got some sweet-peas in there.

I've also got seed potatoes being 'chitted' (growing sprouts) and you could do this in your 'greenhouse shelf thingy'.

Best wishes

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I posted these two links to seed/veg sowing charts on another thread yesterday - but they look like they would do the job here too:

This chart looks like just what you need - the site looks good generally too:

http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetabl...vest_Chart.php

Also this month by month guide from the RHS:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/cal...alendarjan.asp
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills