Halifax / HBOS Shares : What happened to them?

Hi

Apologies in advance if this subject has been covered before - I couldn't find anything when searching and I'm not too familiar with forums.

My question is....When the UK banking system collapsed a few years ago, I was in possession of Halifax/HBOS shares that at the time were worth approx. £4000. I now see that my shares are worth practically nothing. Please don't think I'm completely daft but I was out of the country for a long while! Someone did mention to me that I should look up a government compensation scheme to recover the value (or part of) of the shares. I can't seem to find anything. Is this true? Is there some compensation available?

Many thanks for your advice in anticipation

Replies

• tifotifo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    EmKay wrote: »
    My question is....When the UK banking system collapsed a few years ago, I was in possession of Halifax/HBOS shares that at the time were worth approx. £4000. I now see that my shares are worth practically nothing. Please don't think I'm completely daft but I was out of the country for a long while! Someone did mention to me that I should look up a government compensation scheme to recover the value (or part of) of the shares.

Sorry if this comes out wrong but .....

You took a risk, bought shares, and lost and now want to be compensated?

If the shares had gone up in value would you have returned the profit?
  • AnniseleAnnisele Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the someone you've been talking to was rather confused.

They were possibly thinking about the Financial Services Compensation Scheme - but the FSCS will not bail out shareholders who took a risk and then got bitten by it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides