We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Outdoor Tomatoes

Options
From my two outdoor tomato plants, I picked over a kilo of ripe(ish) tomatoes this afternoon. I know East Staffs isn't exactly the frozen north, but in November?

Unseasonably warm, in my humble opinion.

Best wishes,

White.

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I stupidly stripped the remaining toms off my 3 plants in October thinking that Summer was over and frosts were imminent, if I'd of left them I'd probably got a few more lbs.. shame but well done for leaving well alone..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Same here, Chopped mine back a few weeks ago.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Beetlemama
    Beetlemama Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We were just admiring ours this afternoon, we took most of them up but left two in as they were still flowering. can't believe I am picking tomatoes in November.

We still have our cauliflowers and leeks in, and I optimistically planted carrots today, lol.
    "There is no substitute for time."

Competition wins:
    2013. Three bottles of oxygen! And a family ticket to intech science centre. 2011. The Lake District Cheese Co Cow and bunny pop up play tent, cheese voucher, beach ball and cuddly toy cow and bunny and a £20 ToysRus voucher!
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    I was picking toms in november in the greenhouse last year - but not outside. Picked a trug full last week and the odd ones and twos as and when I need them. Never cut down toms until they are actually finished IMHO!

Saying that - was in a t-shirt on Sat - at niece's birthday party....never done that before.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Hawthorn
    Hawthorn Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Options
    I took all of the tomatoes out last week. Got a few ripe ones and a lot of green ones. I'm in east yorkshire and the plants were beginning to go over - some were starting to rot down.

Cabbage/cauliflower also pulled. We had a bad year for those this year. Cauliflower just a total fail, and only 4/5 cabbages made it.

Leeks going well.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :T

Don't throw away food challenge started 30/10/11 £4.45 wasted.

Storecard balance -[STRIKE] £786.60[/STRIKE] £708
  • meadow84
    Options
    im in south east and took my tomatoes down yesterday, still have quite a few green toms but surprised how well they've done this year thanks to all this mild weather
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    I had a bizarre harvesting session yesterday where I picked two cabbages, a couple of kilos of brussel sprouts, tomatoes, chillis and aubergines! Seemed so odd looking at the bounty - I would never think I would be picking brussel sprouts and tomatoes at the same time!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport