Question about Probate

My husband passed away mid-October and I am trying to do Probate myself with the help of my daughter. I have the appropriate forms PA1 and I also have to fill in IHT205 (2006). I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a question on the IHT205 form please.

Question 11 is about "Deceased's own assets for which a grant is required".

11.1 is about cash and money in banks etc., which is not a problem, I'm just waiting on details of balance including interest to date of death then I can fill it in.

11.2 has me stumped. It is "Household and personal goods" and the guide notes say this means things such as furniture, pictures, china, TV, audio and video equipment, cameras, etc. As these were all jointly owned (in my opinion) do I have to put anything down? If so do I put the sort of value that I'd put for contents insurance or do I put 50% of it as I would effectively own half of it?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding and asking a daft question but my mind is boggling with everything I'm having to do at the moment. I can't receive his old employer's pension, part of which transfers to me, nor the annuity he was in receipt of (I get 100% of that) until I have Grant of Probate so I'd like to get the ball rolling ASAP.

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When my mum died our solicitor sorted out probate at our request. Everything you mention was owned jointly with my stepdad and if I remember correctly it was all valued at zero. 20 year old three piece suites don't get snapped up on ebay !
    HTH
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Sorry to hear of your loss, OP.
    I'm pretty sure I entered nil for that question when my dad and I completed the forms following the death of my mother as it was all joint property. It sounded to me like a question relating to property which was to be disposed of or bequeathed to someone other than my dad, if that makes sense.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks both. Nothing is to be disposed of so it does make sense to just put nil then. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong, I don't know anyone else who has done probate so didn't have anyone to ask.
  • It's more asking about the Old Masters, antiques, etc, really.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    Hi OP, sorry for your loss.

Question 11 is only for sole name assets - it says 'for which a Grant is required' so joint property is not covered as it passes automatically to you as joint owner. It goes in at 9.2 and you can put a general value to things. To be honest, as Errata says, there is very little value in most personal possessions. Unless you've got antiques etc then half the value you include for contents insurance is probably still too much. That's a replacement cost, not the value of the items you have in your house.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    £1,000 would probably cover one half of the contents of most houses if sold on ebay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure