Overpay or Wait?

We currently have a mortgage which is on a repayment basis with 191 months left to run (approx 16 years). In just over 3 years time my wife will retire with a pension and a lump-sum, which will pay off the mortgage. In 4 years time I will be in a similar position.

My question is - should we start overpaying now to reduce the amount owed and what would be a good extra monthly amount to pay, bearing in mind that the maximum number of overpayments would be 36 (wife's retirement)? Our current monthly payment is £730.

Or should we just continue as we are, use half of my wife's lump sum to reduce the amount in three years and then do the same 12 months later when I get my lump sum?

Replies

• Personally, if you are in a financial position to do so, I would start overpaying now if you are able as this will reduce the amount of interest that you are paying on the mortgage. Then (again, if you are able) I would clear the mortgage with your wife's lump sum when it arrives
    Don't worry about typing out my username - Call me COMP
    (Unless you know my real name - in which case, feel free to use that just to confuse people!)
  • dimbo61dimbo61 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Overpay every penny you can afford and when you do retire you can afford a comfortable retirement
    So unless your savings are paying more than your mortgage rate( after TAX) OVERPAY
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals