Wedding band near Cambridge?

My brother is getting married in Cambridge in May, and is having trouble finding a band to play at his wedding reception that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Can anyone recommend one or where to look?
He's after a fairly vesatile (sp?) band that could play some older stuff to keep the older generation happy but could also rock it up a little.

Cheers,

Niki

Comments

• bluestu
    bluestu Posts: 65 Forumite
    how much are you being quoted? i am in a band (nowhere near cambridge thou!!) and know a few others so can advise you if its a fair charge??
  • My housemate does wedding photos in Cambridge, if interested let me know :)
  • I play in a band but we're not really a wedding type band.
  • Thanks for your replies. Not sure how much he's being quoted, but as he's in a band himself (death metal!) and they often only cover their costs, I think he's going to have to re-adjust his idea of what you pay a semi-proffesional band. I saw on another wedding thread someone quoting about £350 for a wedding band - is this reasonable/ over the odds?
  • MickKnipfler
    MickKnipfler Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    I've been playing in bands for over 30 years. My view is this.

There are primarily 2 different types of musician:

1. Those who play what THEY want for recreation. These tend to play rock, blues, folk etc. Basically, they play for fun/kudos
    2. Those who "prostitute their art". They tend to play what OTHERS want. They try to generalise much more and play functions. Basically, their music is at least a secondary income and their image/popularity is only really important because it boosts their income.

I was a type 2 for many years until one day I sat down and couldn't really see why I was doing it as I was on a decent income and it had really just become a habit. Now, I have become a type 1 and am enjoying playing for who cares what as long as we enjoy it and the "house is a rockin"

For a type 2 function band, £350 is very reasonable.
    You could probably get a type 1 band cheaper but they may not be popular with all your wedding guests. My type 1 band has done a couple of weddings but only for people who know us and definately want our sort of music
  • bluestu
    bluestu Posts: 65 Forumite
    yep, if you're getting qouted 350 thats more than reasonable, we as a 6 piece band (prostituting our art!!) charge 400-600 depending on where (travel costs) playing time and whether we are needed to provide lights/background music as well.

generally a wedding gig takes a whole day as you need to get in and set up before the dinner (can't really soundcheck during the speech!) so although it may seem a lot, when you break the cost down after expenses its not much more than the minimum wage! make sure you get a band that are worth it though!!
  • Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies, just spoken to my brother and he's been quoted £1,300! So he's still looking....
    Any other suggestions welcome.

Niki
  • I got married a few years ago and we had a band from Ely Cambs. called the Wide Glide Band. I recall they were very reasonably priced. They were absolutely fantastic. They did a scottish ceilidh for us and had everyone up during the course of the evening. They even started the evening with a waltz for my wife and I. (We were rubbish) Not sure if i should put their number on here but here goes. I got this from the Cambridge Folk home page .
    Steve Bardell: 01638 751483

Good luck to you and yours for the big day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family