We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Spring onions

Options
i have some spring onions growing in a pot in my garden, and they are huge, the green part is growing rather long, and sprawing out of the pot!
Does anyone know if i can cut them down? because they are still growing and i don't want to pull them out just yet!

I also had my first harvest of carrots! i pulled them this morning, and they are the biggest carrots i've had before! even bigger than store bought! i think i must be good at growing veggies! i'm going to be trying out some normal onions next, and potatoes from some potato peelings that have sprouted. the carrots are going to put into a stew this afternoon, and the rest will be used this week for dinners or i will cut them and freeze them for another time :)

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
Frugal living 2014

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    i have some spring onions growing in a pot in my garden, and they are huge, the green part is growing rather long, and sprawing out of the pot!
    Does anyone know if i can cut them down? because they are still growing and i don't want to pull them out just yet!

No, the leaves are required, you must have been gazing out of the class room window when photosynthesis was explained :)

If you cut the leaves off the plant cannot get enough energy to grow

The green leaves are edible any way, so why worry?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • hollieinbloom
    Options
    i know that! hehe.
    i was just thinking they might be able to be trimmed down like tomato plants are. thanks for the info though! :) x

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tell us the secret what did you use in those pots?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• hollieinbloom
    Options
    i think i used the cheapest stuff possible, wilkinsons compost for like 97p a bag, and then the seeds for the spring onions...and then water!

think i just have a very odd gardening gift!

Frugal living 2014
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My radishes are more miss than hit, Despite using quite a few seeds i dont think we had more than a small handful.

Onions it seems we may have onion leaf miner around the plots. So may explain that.

I have done some in the back garden before and they grew reasonably well.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure