New Post Advanced Search

Dahlia Tubers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
5 replies 1.1K views
AriesAries Forumite
477 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I have just been to inspect my Dahlia Tubers which are stored in the Garage.
I notice one of them has thrown up a shoot.
My Question is should I allow them to grow? or nip out the shoot to try and delay any growth?
They are in an open Box without compost.

Thank you for any replies.
Member of the £2 savers club.£320
so far
saving for Holiday :j

You are never too Old to learn new tricks.:rotfl:

Replies

• Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine are the same in the cold frame, along with the Canna, last time I looked, the Canna had a shoot on. I'd leave them where they are, until after any risk of frost has passed.

I wouldn't nip them out.
  • bella4ukbella4uk Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to dig up my tubers last year and they still came back...and I live in the North-east!!!....again I have forgotten, so (green) fingers crossed!
  • annie123annie123 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Mine have shoots,had a look the day. I leave them in the ground and they pop up every year.

The mild weather has confused many plants, my roses are still blooming, Nasturtium still flowering, and daffs about to open!
  • AriesAries Forumite
    477 posts
    Thanks for your replys.
    I think we are going to have early plants this year.
    Member of the £2 savers club.£320
    so far
    saving for Holiday :j

You are never too Old to learn new tricks.:rotfl:
  • 1645j1645j Forumite
    26 posts
    Aries wrote:
    I have just been to inspect my Dahlia Tubers which are stored in the Garage.
    I notice one of them has thrown up a shoot.
    My Question is should I allow them to grow? or nip out the shoot to try and delay any growth?
    They are in an open Box without compost.

Thank you for any replies.

Just make sure they are not in the dark, can you move them too a greenhouse? if left in the garage with limited light the soots will become long and weak,prone to pest & disease attack and will not produce a good shoot at the end of the day. As long as you can keep them frost free in a greenhouse they will be fine and benefit form the better light and produce a more stronger shoot.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support