Council tax Rebanding help needed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
3 replies 874 views
Trudy_janeTrudy_jane Forumite
15 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
I hope someone can help. We have appealed our council tax Rebanding and would value your opinion on whether a tribunal will be worth going to.
The house we live in was originally sold in May 2009 for £605,000. It was bought by a developer who carved up the large garden to build two big four bedroomed houses. The house on the site was a three bed small cottage which was given a two storey extension and a double garage (one garage/one cart shed open garage). We bought the redeveloped cottage for £425,000 in May 2010. Before, the property was banded E and rebanded when we bought it as F. I thought that the value of the property had some bearing on the banding so thought we would still be an E, because although the size of the house had increased the actual value had decreased.
We have been given the chance to appeal, I just wonder if it is worth doing so. Having spoken to the person who would be opposing our appeal, the value now is irrelevant and only what he thinks the value would have been in 1991 counts. We have no other 'like for like' properties to compare it to, in fact he could only find 1 in 1991 that he thinks is comparable. He also denies that drive by valuations ever took place and all valuations are based on square footage.
Can I ask, what would you do?
Thanks

Replies

• lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From 1991 to 1995 house prices fell then rose until about 2007/8 then started dropping again. Even if the net rise was threefold between 1991 and 2010 your purchase price of £425K would suggest around £140K in 1991, well into an F. Use a house price calculator to give you a rough idea of the 1991 price, but be aware these usually undervalue 1991 prices.

The 2009 sale price reflected the fact that there were 2 building plots, the value of these cannot be reflected in the CT band. If they could be reflected, the original band would probably have been G rather than E.

Only you can decide if the time and effort of attending a tribunal will be worthwhile. You appear to have no counter evidence, so what would you base your case on.
  • Trudy_janeTrudy_jane Forumite
    15 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your reply. I guess I thought that if it was sold for £605k and was band E then selling for 425k would mean the band would not increase, if that makes sense. I think our house is 190 metres square, some houses in the village are not too far from this (185) and are band E, some are less and are band F, there is one in Band F which is 300 metres squared. Does square footage come into it? I think there are a lot of houses in the village which are in incorrect bands, but because they haven't been questioned then I guess the tone has been set. Also, looking at previous appeals, very few seem to come down on the side of the home owner.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The size of a property is the main factor in determining the band, VOA use size as a comparable as usually the bigger the house, the more it sells for. Band F for a 300 sq metre house seems far too low.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals