Should I have been told I could claim myself by the claims handling company

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
12 replies 1.5K views
k333rydk333ryd Forumite
1 Post
I have recently used a claims handling company to claim monies back from my mortgage re PPI. I have not received the settlement figure yet, but know the fee is over 30%.
Should I have been told that I could claim this back myself, and not needed the claims handling company to do it on my behalf - as I had no idea this was an option until I watched Daybreak this morning.

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they are under no legal obligation to tell you, you should have researched it before signing on the dotted line.

Sorry
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea this was an option until I watched Daybreak this morning.

Is that realistic? Are you trying to tell us that you didnt know you could complain to a company about something they did?
  • AnniseleAnnisele Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, you can see the rules for claims management companies here, with full details here. Some guidance on PPI claims is here.

From what you say I can't see that they've done anything wrong, but they have to have a complaints procedure so you can complain to them if you want.
    38.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets put it this way,

If you went into a shop on the high st and they were selling a suite at £700. You really wouldnt expect the sales man to tell you
    that the same suite is in a shop down the road £150 quid cheaper, would you,

You do your research beforehand, simple common sense
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    roonaldo wrote: »
    blimey, just how dumb are people.

Remember, Martin says there is no such thing as a stupid question.

But until yesterday it was accepted wisdom that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light and now even that is being questioned.

Having been taken for a ride twice, it might be a good idea to try to avoid it happening again. I suggest the OP reads Martin's teen cash guide.
    38.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    roonaldo wrote: »
    blimey, just how dumb are people.

Now then, no need for that, how can we know something if we havent been taught it before

Be nicer, and people will be nicer to you.
  • k333ryd wrote: »
    I have recently used a claims handling company to claim monies back from my mortgage re PPI. I have not received the settlement figure yet, but know the fee is over 30%.
    Should I have been told that I could claim this back myself, and not needed the claims handling company to do it on my behalf - as I had no idea this was an option until I watched Daybreak this morning.

My understanding is that the rules suggest they should tell you that you can do it yourself before they sign you up.

Taking on business
    (This section applies only to businesses that have a contractual relationship for a
    regulated activity with a client.)
    10. Before seeking to enter into a contract with a client a business must make
    reasonable enquiries as to whether the client has alternative mechanisms for
    pursuing a claim.
    12. Where a claim is one that falls within the province of the Criminal Injuries
    Compensation Authority, the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Housing
    Ombudsman Service or any other recognised dispute resolution procedure,
    the business must not suggest that a claimant will have a more favourable
    outcome if he uses the services of the business.
    13. A business must make explicit to the client his right to seek further advice or
    to shop around, subject to any time limits within which a claim must be made.

I think it can be argued that those three rules from the link posted by Annisele amount to a requirement that they notify you of the FOS and the fact you can use them yourself.
  • skv123 wrote: »
    My understanding is that the rules suggest they should tell you that you can do it yourself before they sign you up.
    Taking on business

(
    This section applies only to businesses that have a contractual relationship for a
    Before seeking to enter into a contract with a client a business must make
    reasonable enquiries as to whether the client has alternative mechanisms for
    pursuing a claim.
    Where a claim is one that falls within the province of the Criminal Injuries
    Compensation Authority, the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Housing
    Ombudsman Service or any other recognised dispute resolution procedure,
    the business must not suggest that a claimant will have a more favourable
    outcome if he uses the services of the business.
    A business must make explicit to the client his right to seek further advice or
    to shop around, subject to any time limits within which a claim must be made.
    I think it can be argued that those three rules from the link posted by Annisele amount to a requirement that they notify you of the FOS and the fact you can use them yourself.
    (This section applies only to businesses that have a contractual relationship for a
  • (This section applies only to businesses that have a contractual relationship for a

[/LEFT]

which they do.
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose, in theory, you could put a complaint against them that they missold their service to you and, if necessary, take your complaint to the Ministry of Justice.

The world's gone mad but there is certain poetic justice!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News