Any tips on how to clean my bird bath?

New Post Advanced Search

Any tips on how to clean my bird bath?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
7 replies 1.4K views
JoanneC_2JoanneC_2 Forumite
134 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I usually just clean my bird bath once a week/fortnight with a hard scrubing brush and plain water (not sure of what is and isn't toxic to the birds so just use plain water at the moment) and that usually gets rid of all the slimy green algae that tends to build up. However, I have been away for a couple of months and when I came back the bird bath was full of leaves and the green/brown slimy algae seems to have seeped into the stone and no matter how hard I scrub I can't get rid of it!! Any suggestions??

Replies

• We have a cast concrete bird bath. I occasionally clean it with a hosepipe at mains pressure.

Do you have a pressure washer?

In the summer if the bird bath is dry, one of our cats sleeps in it in the sunshine.

I will post a picture later.:D

edit, click the link.

out.php?i=2514_mistyinbirdbath.jpg
  • I don't have a pressure washer but my dad does, I could probably shove the top bit in the boot and take it round next time he's cleaning the car!! Cute picture!!!
  • PeartreePeartree Forumite
    788 posts
    What about a steam cleaner? I know it's not quite the same thing, but one got some really deeply ground in coal dust out of the stone around my fireplace.
  • I'll give it a try, thanks!
  • misgracemisgrace Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I use Sugar soap and a wire brush when the bath is really dirty, I give it good rinses so the birds are affected by it.
    One time it was so bad when I came back from holiday that I used bleached, but I made sure it was well rinsed and there was no sign bleach left.
    The bath looked so pristine.:D
  • NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello JoanneC

I'll move your thread to the 'Greenfingered' board.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • USE A SOLUTION OF JEYES FLUID TESCO SELL IT OR YORKSHIRE TRADING COMPANY BOYES JUST DO WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN ITS THE BEST FOR ALL YOUR GARDEN NEEDS

Pls be nice to all MSer's
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
    Tomorrow never come's as today is yesterday and tomorrow is today:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW MSer's:xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support