We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Hydrangas

Options
Some advice please. I have both the normal mophead hydrangas and also vanilla frais. All have flowered reasonably well this year but I have seen better flower displays. Normally I leave all pruning and dead heading until the spring when I prune both varieties well back. This year the flower heads are rotting rather than drying out. Will it be OK to cut flower heads off now rather than in the spring?

Azza

Comments

• azzabazza
    azzabazza Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I have googled Prepped and will have a listen tomorrow. I think the varieties I have flower on new growth.
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tend to leave mine until spring, as a lot of ladybirds overwinter in the deadheads.

The deadheads then get taken up the garden, shoved under a large wire basket (to stop them blowing around) near the broad beans, so the ladybirds can come out and munch the blackfly.
  • RebekahR
    RebekahR Posts: 5,980 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope no one minds if I hijack this thread .... :) I have just brought a blue variety hydranga and am worrying currently about how to plant the thing! The spot we have is an open south facing 1 metre square of soil. We have very chalky soil so I know I my work is cut out for keeping it anywhere near blue! I have some special soil for it from homebase. On that packet it says to seperate the plant from the surrounding soil with bricks or something like that and contain the plant and the new soil. As I dont have any bricks I am wondering how else I can do this? I have basically taken all of the soil out to the depth of about 8 inches. (scieved it all to get rid of stones too!). So I now I have an empty hole lol and don't know what to do next!! Would weed fabric or hessian something like that work at seperating it?
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RebekahR - I don't know how to put this to you gently, but it is likely to turn pink.

You could dig a big hole and line it with membrane, but then the plant won't be able to get it's roots comfy.

Watering with cold tea, chucking rusty metal near the root, or as I did last year was collect next doors fallen apples - they would be too acidic for the veg patch - and put them under the hydrangea. This year, I had a strange mix from pale pink, through dark lilac to blue. Leaf mold is acidic, as is bracken if you can collect this from heathland.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure