New Post Advanced Search

discarded crimbo trees

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
11 replies 1K views
AnthillmobAnthillmob Forumite
11.8K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
dont local councils have recycle schemes for trees? :confused: i thought they did.

so why the millons of discarded trees? they are everywhere and have been for days and one bright spark left one right in the middle of the pathway so you had to walk in the road to get round it, though to be fair it was probably the local youths being funny of a night time again.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me

Replies

• badmumof1badmumof1 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    why is it up to the council to take them away?

what wrong with people taking them down to the local recycling centre and putting them in the green bins themselves?

if people buy them then they should dispose of them.
    If You See Someone Without A Smile......
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • AnthillmobAnthillmob Forumite
    11.8K posts
    i thought the councils did a recycling scheme, i didnt mean them come out and get the though it wouldnt be a bad idea if they can come and rid of garden waste then why not trees? not everyone has a car, do you suggest those without borrow a wheelbarrow?
  • I've seen at least 3 dumped on the pavements of St Albans today.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • badmumof1badmumof1 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    councils do have green recycling BUT you cant just chuck out a tree and expect the council to come pick it up.
    our local council do a green collection during march till november but they do expect you to chop it up and put it in a bag.

if people can go to places like B&Q, Homebase and such to buy trees then surely the can dispose of it when they have finished with it.

if they havent got a car then how did they get it home from the store in the first place
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • AnthillmobAnthillmob Forumite
    11.8K posts
    sorry my post was a bit short and sharp! im trying to multitask here!

we have a fake tree. and it annoys me when people discard their real rees all over the road/streets.

i dont knowabout anyone elses council but ours do a run every week to collect junk thats been fly tipped (and ive reported the fly tippers who live round the corner and they still get away with it) so why not a run once a week for a couple of weeks for crimbo trees? they mulch tme down and use as compost or something.
  • LOL no worries i got the tv on and my hubby is moaning at me because he just done 2 hours ironing and i have made him a cuppa !!!!!

Our council picks up rubbish left by flytippers but this only encourages people to do it even more.
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • TrixTrix Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our local council had 3 tree recycling areas in my borough - 1 at Asda for a couple of days, one next to the beach and 1 in the next town to me that both run from the 2nd until the 12th of January. Apparantly last year 675 trees were recycled in my borough. They were chipped then some were used on shrub beds as a weed surpresser and the rest were used on sand dunes to strengthen them and stop them wearing down.

It does involve getting them there yourself, but (unless you had them delivered) you get them home yourselves so must have some way of doing it. Might be good for the places you buy them off to do a collection scheme after Christmas, even if they charged £1 or something to do it or included it in the cost of buying.
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • When I was younger, I used to collect all the artificial ones thrown away, and store them in the spare room. Take them down the next year, a month or so before Christmas, spend a bit on tinsel and baubles, deck them up and sell them. Used to waste all the money in the sales though :rolleyes:
    "People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer"
  • Ban christmas then we wouldn't have all the rubbish to clean up
    This country is called Great Britain. It would be called Amazing Britain if it wasn't for people like you pulling the average down
  • Our council collected our trees on Monday, like Trix said they shred them and use the chippings.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support