We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Black chillis

Options
Good morning - I wonder if anyone can help me?

I've got a jalapeno chilli plant and another plant, the variety of which I don't remember. The chillis on both have dark brown/black marks on them - one chilli is almost entirely black. They seem ok apart from the colour - are they ok to eat?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Principia_2
    Options
    Lucky you, they are well on their way to becoming red :)

Mine are lagging this year and are still mostly green, although I have some blackish ones but no red ones.

You could eat it as is but I'd wait for it to change red if it were mine.
  • AnGee
    AnGee Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    First year I've attempted growing any veg - I haven't got much of a clue. This forum has been really helpful.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    AnGee wrote: »
    First year I've attempted growing any veg - I haven't got much of a clue. This forum has been really helpful.

Nope.
    Another year without growing any veg.
    Chillies are technically fruit!
  • Principia_2
    Options
    AnGee wrote: »

Do you have anything else on the go?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Did the black bits start on the tips of the chilli pods?
    If so, this could be caused by using too much nitrogen based fertiliser. If the black patches are soft compared to the rest of the pod then the cause could be too much watering. You would be amazed how little water the majority of chilli plants need to grow.

Keep a close eye on them to make sure that they don't go mouldy as this will be a sign of a fungus infection, and if this happens you will probably have to ditch the entire plant.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I have one chilli between my two plants.I have had lots of flower buds. Am I likely to get any more? I have had the one for weeks now!!!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    It's possible but unlikely.

Are your 2 plants indoors?
    The reason I ask is that there is generally a far better yield if the plants are either outdoors or in a conservatory/greenhouse. This is because the flowers need a bit of help with pollination which is normally done by insects or the wind.
    I've been told that you can do this manually with something like the ip of a ballpoint pen, (simply moving pollen from one flower to another) but I've never tried it myself.
  • AnGee
    Options
    Principia wrote: »
    Do you have anything else on the go?

Yes, tomatoes, beetroot, carrots and potatoes. I grew new potatoes in bags - they were fine. I put my maincrop potatoes in way too late - beginning of June, so I'm not expecting much! In April I ordered the Blue Danube for £2 from T&M. When they didn't arrive by the end of May I cancelled the order and bought some locally - Maris Piper and King Edward.

I planted 3 lots of rhubarb - 2 died but the Timperley early I put in is growing well. This is our first year in our new house and I've grown lots of flowers, many from seed. It's the first time I've really got involved in gardening - I've loved it!

This forum has been a great help - thank you all :)
  • AnGee
    Options
    Did the black bits start on the tips of the chilli pods?

Hi - no the dark marks are all over and the chilli that is nearly all black just has a tiny green bit at the tip. They seem quite firm, but I think it's highly likely that I have over watered them. Will watch out for mould.

Thank you
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on who you believe, it's either them getting too cold, or too much sun.

I think it's the cold, as it happens to my chillies that are outside, or in the greenhouse at the end of the year. But anyway, it's nothing to worry about, sometimes they will go red after they go black, sometimes not. All are still useable.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure