Help on how to train my naughty Jack Russell please.

in Pets & Pet Care
6 replies 1.6K views
xxdeebeexxxxdeebeexx Forumite
2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
Hi we have a little 3 yr old Jack Russell that we rescued 18 months ago. She is brilliant and can do lots of tricks... sit, speak, rollover, play dead, hunt the toy and plenty more............

However, we have a huge problem with the postman. The dog goes mad. She has ripped my net curtains, she throws herself at the door, so hard , that she some times draws blood. When the letters land on the mat, she shakes them and often leaves puncture marks or rips!!

The postman arrives at vastly different times every day so I can't judge .......... even if I knew when he arrived I wouldn't know what to do to break this behaviour.

Please can anyone help?

TIA

Dx

Replies

• Any dogs I have had over the years have disliked postman and binmen, I dont think you can do much about it to be honest !

Unless you can say he/she will be there between a rough time and try either putting her in the garden or shutting the living room door.
  • edited 1 September 2011 at 7:27AM
    KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2011 at 7:27AM
    One thing that would protect your post is to get a wire basket that screws to the back of the door- Kleeneze or Betterware had them about a year ago. I bought one, but the problem seems to have gone away, no longer shreaded letters.

Dogs don't like posties- even in the street mine kind of growl at them! Think it must be an invasion of their territory. I remember reading some good training tips by Carolyn Mentieth in Your Dog mag. She has made videos for Dogs Tust- but sadly this title is not one of them!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    had another thought, if your dog is a rescue does the place where he/she (sorry didn't check) came from have a behaviourist? The larger charities tend to.
    I am wondering if it would be possible to keep her away from the front door altogether (wouldn't help the curtains!) with a dog gate for example.

there are some topics here that might be useful- they look a bit long winded but perhaps on a read through there might be something of help:
    http://www.k9obedience.co.uk/searchresults.html?cx=partner-pub-0707926104342986%3Ad09v2f36usb&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=postman+mad&sa=+Go+Fetch!+&siteurl=www.k9obedience.co.uk%2F#1200

I also googled "dog goes mad at postman" and a whole lot of answers came up from yahoo

looks like a lot of trawling on the internet for you!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• Good luck with this I have a long legged jack russell. He is now 13 and since a small puppy we have had this problem. The dog sits at the top of the stairs(front door directly facing) and waits he jumps from nigh on top to bottom he is now 13 so no spring chicken.

We have tried the wire letter collecter cage he used to just cling with his teeth dangling from it. We have tried locking him in a room till he has been just sits crying. Our postmen knows now to post the junk through first Reg attacks this and 9/10 the other more important stuff is ok.

The only days he dosnt sit waiting is a Sunda,y how he knows there's no postman is amazing.

We recently had new neighbours the front door faces ours their 3 year old westie has now learnt this trick from Reg and she never bothered with the posman at their old house:rotfl:

The postmen hates our street he says how he comes a way with fingers he'll never know:o
  • minimad1970minimad1970 Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If my dog is in the garden or sees the postman go past the window he goes bonkers, but then if the postman rings the doorbell to deliver anything my dog can't wait to get out the door to lick him to death, I only let him out if it's our usual postie. Dogs are very complex animals aren't they.:D Good luck with the training.
  • xxdeebeexxxxdeebeexx Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Katiehound wrote: »
    had another thought, if your dog is a rescue does the place where he/she (sorry didn't check) came from have a behaviourist? The larger charities tend to.
    I am wondering if it would be possible to keep her away from the front door altogether (wouldn't help the curtains!) with a dog gate for example.

there are some topics here that might be useful- they look a bit long winded but perhaps on a read through there might be something of help:
    http://www.k9obedience.co.uk/searchresults.html?cx=partner-pub-0707926104342986%3Ad09v2f36usb&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=postman+mad&sa=+Go+Fetch!+&siteurl=www.k9obedience.co.uk%2F#1200

I also googled "dog goes mad at postman" and a whole lot of answers came up from yahoo

looks like a lot of trawling on the internet for you!!

Thank you! I hadn't thought of going back to Dogs Trust. I will have a good look at the link you so kindly found. I need to start soon............my net curtains are in shreds!

Dx
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides