My father died - Bank won't give me remaining money in his account - Advice?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
15 replies 3.6K views
GemJar88GemJar88 Forumite
17 Posts
Hi, I'm 22. my dad died recently. He had no estate, insurance or funding, and as his daughter and next of kin, the debts and money problems are placed on to me.

I have very little money, I live with my grandmother who's a disabled pensioner and I'm looking for work (have recently graduated).

I am with Lloyds bank, after freezing his account I was told I need to make an appointment to talk about the money in the account as well as debts. He didn't have a lot of money in the account (£500) but to me, in my current situation that's alot of money.

I was given a form to fill out and the left and told I would hear back soon.

I got a letter back saying that he had a lloyds bank loan of £2000, and because of this they will keep the £500 in his bank and that they wanted me to pay toe remaining £1500!! :(

I have no money to my name. I'm even here doing surveys and polls just to get some small amount of extra money, and on top of that I'm still upset over the loss of my father.

I'm also getting bills for other things, like sky, water rates, electricity etc.

Any advice? Or anything I can do about this? That money would have helped a lot.

Replies

• di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    Hello there

I am so so sorry to hear the loss of your beloved dad, I can understand how you feel with losing mine last year, but you certainly do not need this hassle now either in regards of the bank.

I don't think you should be paying for this at all in my opinion and I'm sure there will be some on here with some useful advice on where to go with this one.

Hopefully someone will be here very soon to help you, if no-one have posted by tomorrow I shall bump this up for you.

My thoughts are with you x
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your fathers debt cannot be passed to you.

They have to be paid from any remaining estate of his. (ie the £500) so dont expect to get this.
    When that money has been exhausted then the debts will die with him.

Have the funeral costs been paid.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • edited 31 August 2011 at 9:49PM
    GemJar88GemJar88 Forumite
    17 Posts
    edited 31 August 2011 at 9:49PM
    Thank you both, as for the funeral costs, I'm not sure how it was done (I'm so clueless with all this), my grandmother took over the funeral arranging and got a government funding package for that as she is on a pension and i was still considered a student at the time (this was all before i graduated), we had to fill out some forms and photocopy the prices and send it off.

I found it difficult to get involved with that side of things at the time so I wasn't completely in the loop and was happy for family to help arrange things on my behalf.

thanks again
  • FLAPJACKFLAPJACK Forumite
    524 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi there,

Very sorry to read of your sad loss.

I would suggest going to CAB for advice.....certainly go to a solicitor who can act on your behalf. Don't be bullied by Lloyds....it was your dad's debt not yours, as the previous poster says OK they will probably suck up any money in the account but I'm sure you can't be held responsible for the outstanding. Best bet go to a solicitor and tell Lloyds to communicate with him/her.

All the best.
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    Great advice already,:T:T

Good luck x
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • So sorry for your loss - just to add to the other posts - I don't think Lloyds can just take the £500, it should go into your late father's estate and should be used for his funeral before creditors! best get down to your local CAB on this one as they will be able to help.
  • Thank you all so much :) I feel a lot more positive about this now - struggling with it alone and not know what to do has been a huge weight on me. I will go to the CAB this week or next, whenever they can talk to me, and try and see what I can do. Thank you
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss - just to add to the other posts - I don't think Lloyds can just take the £500, it should go into your late father's estate and should be used for his funeral before creditors! best get down to your local CAB on this one as they will be able to help.

It seems that the funeral costs have been dealt with.

OP, just make sure that your dad didnt have any other debts because the £500 will come into account for those too.

I am really sorry you lost your dad and your grandma has lost her son, it is so sad. I'm sure you'll take comfort from each other.

Im sure you cant afford solicitors from what you have said but most solicitors will give you half an hour free so ring up your nearest and ask.

Is mum not around anymore.

Good luck
    Annie
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • 7roland87roland8 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    All good advice above.
    Would just say get lots of copies of your Dad's death cert and then just do a standard letter to all the companies (Sky etc) It was his debt so don't take anything on. You are not responsible for the loan unless you signed as guarantaur. Same with bills - unless you live in same house.
    Any of his debts are HIS - to be paid for out of any money from savings/property - as this money asn't enough be would be regarded as insolvent - but its not up to you or anyone else to pay it.
    Would stress I am no expert and the CAB culd reasssure you offically and word letters etc.
    Sorry to hear f your loss too - not a good time to have this extra worry.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • 7roland87roland8 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Just found the following on the Will Expert.co.uk site:
    In paying off these outstanding debts, the executor or administrator must ensure that they repay the deceased individual’s creditors in a certain order. Mortgages must be paid off first, followed by rent arrears; water rates; council tax; fuel; personal loans and credit cards; and finally debts to the Exchequer such as outstanding tax or overpaid benefits.
    It is often thought that a surviving spouse or civil partner will automatically ‘inherit’ the deceased individual’s debts, but this is not necessarily the case. Nothing will be paid to the beneficiaries of the will until all of the debts have been cleared, but there are only certain circumstances in which a partner would be liable for these debts. The most common of these is if you were to have a loan in a joint name (that is, your partner’s and your own), or if you acted as a guarantor against a loan taken out in the deceased person’s name. In these circumstances, the responsibility for paying back the money is passed to you.

So it looks as though the bank shouldn't keep the money as others have first grabs on it (creditors - not you unfortunately).
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals