Reclaiming Mortgage PPI Halifax

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
2 replies 1.5K views
hilarioushilarious Forumite
463 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
Need your advice:

On a Halifax Mortgage - Can you claim back the Mortgage Repayment Protector Insurance if you believe it was missold.
The bank clerk I spoke to with my aunt claims those were regulated products. If she was not made aware it was optional is that a cause for a complaint?
* It was not a single premium payment.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you claim back the Mortgage Repayment Protector Insurance if you believe it was missold.

No. You can complain stating your reasons why you believe it was mis-sold and provide your evidence to support your complaint. They will then review the complaint and evidence against their files and make a decision on the complaint.
    The bank clerk I spoke to with my aunt claims those were regulated products. If she was not made aware it was optional is that a cause for a complaint?

Your aunt just needs to complain and supply the evidence to back up her allegation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • roonaldoroonaldo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the fact thats its a monthly policy paid by a seperate DD indicates its optional. Also, if it was compulsory it would be a condition of the mortgabe offer, which Halifax did not do. She would have been given policy documents confirming its cancellation rights etc.

If it was a post Jan 2005 sale, it would have appeared on the mortgage offer, KFI and application forming stating it was an optional insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals