We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

my first year growing

Options
This has been my first year growing and I decided that anything that grew would be a bonus as I was counting this year as an experiment :D but for anyone debating whether to give it a go after what I have just dug up I can thoroughly recommend it.

I bought some Vivaldi seed potatoes (my fav) of ebay total cost of £4.50. I planted them on amy 16th and by my reckoning were due to be dug up arounf the middle of september. Unfortunately the past couple of weeks they have fallen foul of plight and I was fighting a losing battle with it so I decided to dig up one of the plants :eek: there was some massive potatoes there and a total weight of almost 4lb (just off one seed spud)

If I had bought the equivalent amount from sainsbury's (the only place I could find this variety when I used to buy them) it would have cost me between £2 and £3.

And i have about 9 other plants to pull up.

I have also pulled up this morning some carrots and picked some minature tomatoes.

This growing your own thing is quite good isn't it :D

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's like magic isn't it.
    You plant a little tiny seed that you can hardly see, put a bit of water on it.
    Then suddenly out of no where you've got your tea growing in the back garden.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • soccermom
    soccermom Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    It's like magic isn't it.
    You plant a little tiny seed that you can hardly see, put a bit of water on it.
    Then suddenly out of no where you've got your tea growing in the back garden.

It certainly is i'm also looking forward to trying my runner beans, parnsips and corn on the cob.

ps love your signature :D
  • sjk1985
    sjk1985 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    First year here too. First year having a garden at all after moving from a flat to a house, it is rented so have grown everything in pots. Had potatoes, courgettes, spinach, cucumbers, french beans, salad leaves, garlic, spring onions, herbs which went well, waiting on my bell peppers and tomatoes to ripen. Not as successful with carrots and beetroot, think that is because of "soil type" as I am just using the contents of grow bags and compost bags as soil.
  • soccermom
    soccermom Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    I am also growing bell peppers and I had one that I was waiting to ripen but it suddenly went really mouldy, which reminds me I was going to look up diseases and see where it went wrong.

We are in rented at the moment and have quite a good sized garden. The owner let us dig up part of the lawn and we have a good sized raised bed.

This year has definitely been a learning curve and I will make a couple of changes for next year but after todays harvest i'm now really keen to get started for next year :D

The most important lesson I have learnt though is to start of my corn on the cob and runner beans in pots first. They definitely don't like my soil for germinating in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure