We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

greenhouse young melon drop turn yellow

Options
I am growing Emir melon in the greenhouse in a grow bag, I water using an irrigation system, feed once a week using an organic general fertilizer.

There is one melon about 4inch by 3 inch growing well but all the others that were fertilized only grow to about an inch long turn yellow then drop.

It is not diseased, not attacked by insects, the greenhouse is not too warm.

This happened last year but I though it was caused by the blight i had on my tomatoes

any idea what I am doing wrong, thanks
:cool: Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.
Sometimes age just shows up all by itself ;)

In the end, it's not the years in your life
that count....it's the life in your years :D

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,339 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Are the dropping melons on the same spur as the growing one?

My thoughts are the plant has done it's job, has one progeny and kills off the rest as surplus to requirements

Similar happens to many plants, which is why you should keep picking runners for instance

I believe some chemical is triggered by the growing fruit, hence my question if on same spur
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • meercatsunited
    Options
    thanks for the reply but no they are on different spurs and it keeps trying to produce more fruits, noticed today that it is no longer producing the male flower for polination so have snipped the main runner thinking this may be too long, its about 2 1/2 foot long
    :cool: Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.
    Sometimes age just shows up all by itself ;)

In the end, it's not the years in your life
    that count....it's the life in your years :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family