We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Can I put toxic products in my front garden?

Options
afm_2
afm_2 Posts: 698 Forumite
edited 1 August 2011 at 11:48AM in Gardening
Hello!
I am sorry if this isn't the right board to ask this question but couldn't find a better place to post it.

My problem is: I have a front garden that is not fenced. It has lawn and some plants but the lawn is full of weeds and I would like to treat it. For that I am thinking about using the Wilko Feed Weed & Mosskiller but I am afraid of using it in case it might be a risk for kids/pets that step into the lawn. The package says "keep unused product away from children and pets", and to not walk over the treated areas for a period of time and also to wash skin that might have been in contact with the product. Now my question is, if I put this in my front lawn, is it dangerous for kids and pets that might play on it? Also, if something happens, where do I stand legally?

The garden is private and it shouldn't be used by anyone but, unfortunately, I keep finding my plants destroyed and litter all over the place (this is done by kids) and some dogs do "their stuff" there as well. It is very disrespectful. In an attempt to stop this, I've put some edging on the front and a bit on the side but keep finding them taken off their place and stuck in the middle of the garden.

I don't want to hurt anyone and for that reason I am asking this. But also I would like to know what are my rights here. I think I have the right to have a nice front garden but, for the reasons mentioned above, it's just impossible. And, at least, I would like to get rid of the weeds since they are very strong and it gets very difficult to mow the lawn.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you!
Goal: Win a car (or cash to buy one :))! -- Haha goal from when I was a student. Never actually won this but got a good job instead.

What I achieved:
Car paid in full straightaway.
Two properties fully paid. Wohhoooo!

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I seriously doubt that a one-off exposure to any lawn weedkiller that's been applied at the correct rate is going to harm anyone.

If you want to limit any remote possibility, you could put the stuff on in the evening after the kids have gone to bed.
  • afm_2
    edited 1 August 2011 at 12:09PM
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that a one-off exposure to any lawn weedkiller that's been applied at the correct rate is going to harm anyone.

If you want to limit any remote possibility, you could put the stuff on in the evening after the kids have gone to bed.

Thanks for your reply but the product is not liquid, it is granular. Thus it does not disappear into the ground :( I can use a liquid one if necessary but does that really make a difference?
    Goal: Win a car (or cash to buy one :))! -- Haha goal from when I was a student. Never actually won this but got a good job instead.

What I achieved:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    afm wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply but the product is not liquid, it is granular. Thus it does not disappear into the ground :( I can use a liquid one if necessary but does that really make a difference?

Are the children stupid enough to sit on your lawn, pick up the individual granules and eat them? If not, don't worry.
  • rich_jtg
    rich_jtg Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    I normally water the granules into the lawn with a hose/sprinkler - dissolving them out of harm's reach.
  • afm_2
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Are the children stupid enough to sit on your lawn, pick up the individual granules and eat them? If not, don't worry.

Hum they sit on it and they are kids :) small ones! They can do things that we would never expect! :)

What I achieved:
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    I don't use granules as I worry they may get stuck in our cats' paws and ingested when they groom. for feeding and weeding the lawn I use liquids that state on the back that once they are dry (sometime after watering in) there is no risk to children or pets. I am too lazy to water in though and if they need watering in usually try to time it before a rainfall. Perhaps doing the granules in the evening like the other poster says, and then watering in a bit, would work best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure