Hacked off with neighbour!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
7 replies 1.8K views
PurpleclutterbuckPurpleclutterbuck Forumite
438 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
My neighbour asked if he could get the tree branches cut on his side and we agreed as long as he let us know when the work was being done so we could keep an eye on him - he will remove anything remotely green or rural!(iyswim)
So I toodle off to do a stint a the local charity shop and lo and behold when I came home the walnut tree and beech tree have been hacked to within an inch of their life :mad::mad::mad: chainsaw massacre or what!

In this world there are some terrible things going on and this is totally daft to get upset but I am and I need to know if the trees need any treatment to give them a chance before winter sets in -please????
(any treatment regarding the neighbour would probably have to be censored :mad::question::eek::question::mad:)
May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:

Replies

• peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst it looks awful now you will find, assuming live wood, that all trees (except conifers) will grow back and fill out.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • JinxJinx Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I know it will be upsetting to see your trees decimated, but if they are on his side he is entitled to cut them and he doesnt have to have you watch over him while he does it..... I wouldnt want my neighbour watching me trim the stuff on my side. (which I did this morning, seemed to be more of his trees in my garden than his) I appreciate this will not be what you want to hear, I just see both sides.
    Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011 :j
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    why did you let the trees grow over his side? I would have done the same as your neighbour. You should make sure that what you plant stays within the confines of your own garden, I know we do
  • pineapplepineapple Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whilst it looks awful now you will find, assuming live wood, that all trees (except conifers) will grow back and fill out.

Yeah right.
    There used to be a lovely tree in a field just opposite my house. A few of us were chatting one day saying it could do with a bit of thinning out. Came home to find the local Mr Handy Andy enthusiastically massacring it. When we expressed concern, he assured us it would 'grow back'. Three years on we look out on a bit of trunk and some bare twigs :mad:
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    pineapple wrote: »
    Yeah right.
    There used to be a lovely tree in a field just opposite my house. A few of us were chatting one day saying it could do with a bit of thinning out. Came home to find the local Mr Handy Andy enthusiastically massacring it. When we expressed concern, he assured us it would 'grow back'. Three years on we look out on a bit of trunk and some bare twigs :mad:

I can't imagine chopping into anything on land not mine!

But taking branches that hang over, espcially when done politely, running it by the neighbours whose plant it is, I'd do happily!
  • the trees should be ok - so no need to worry about them - although if there were large cuts made - you could paint them with a special seal 'n heal paint

in future - don't trust your neighbour to do anything related to your garden - do it yourself ;)
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • Did they do it themselves or get a tree surgeon to do it? Did they check for birds nesting in the tree first? They really shouldn't be cutting trees this time of year, it's still the bird breeding season and damage to nests is a criminal offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. Usually trees are cut in the winter time while they're dormant and nothing's living in them...

I'd check the cuts to see how they've been done; large braches should be cut at an angle so that rain water slides off. If rain can sit on top of the cut area, it's possible that the tree will get a fungal disease. Painting with a 'seal and heal' compound as suggested above is a good idea too.

I think (but may be wrong) that the walnut will grow back quite fast; we have a sapling in our garden that's shot up this year. Couldn't tell you about beech though. I hope it hasn't been too badly damaged, they're lovely trees.

Finally, check with your local council to see if there's a Tree Preservation Order on either tree; there may be caveats as to how much can be cut at any one time and when cutting should take place.

All the best

Alixandrea
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides