We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

how to care for Dendrobium orchid

Options
pigeonpie
pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
I bought this plant last Xmas http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks-and-Spencer-Dendrobium-Orchid/dp/B001NJ2294?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_5&nodeId=44016030&sr=1-5&qid=1310727480&pf_rd_r=1M5PVVFGG3YBDYPT1FVB&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=44016030&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

Dendrobium orchid. I have plenty 'normal' type orchids and when they have stopped flowering I cut them back to the nearest bud and they reflower (although usually all on one side so they fall over.....!).

the first one I had of these, from 2009, I cut right back to the base. It is slowly growing back but no sign of flowers.

The one I bought in 2010 at Xmas I didn't cut back and it has grown 2 green side shoots. I hope both plants will flower again eventually.

Should I cut back the 2010 one's old main stem or leave it? Does anyone have any info on how to get them to flower again (or is it just patience). Should I repot them while they are green?

Some of my other orchids have outgrown their pots, but I've read not to repot until the flowers are finished...

Many thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport