We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Unusual Sparrow?

Options
torbrex
torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
I have a bird feeding station in my garden and due to an enforced absense from work I have been watching the birds feeding at it.
One of this years sparrow chicks has unusual markings on its wings, the feathers are very light in colour, almost white in fact. I have watched it for a couple of days now and managed to get a picture this morning, it is definitely a house sparrow as I have seen it taking food from its mother which has normal colouring.

Has anyone else seen a sparrow with this type of colouring?

sparrow.jpg

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not unusual to see birds with different colours. We had a white blackbird for a while. often they don't survive in the wild.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • bethesda
    bethesda Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    i haven't seen one like that! have you got a bare patch of earth in your garden? we have a bit as we're renovating ours and i love to see the sparrows having a bath in it!
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    bethesda wrote: »
    i haven't seen one like that! have you got a bare patch of earth in your garden? we have a bit as we're renovating ours and i love to see the sparrows having a bath in it!
    Yes I've seen them do that as well, I also have a cherry tree that has ants going up & down all the time and the sparrows hunker down on the main branches and allow the ants to go through their feathers, its really fascinating to watch and see how long they last with the ants biting at them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport