We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

blackbird in box in my garden - what should I do?

Options
hostie
hostie Posts: 505 Forumite
I went out to let my hen out this morning and saw a little blackbird hopping about the grass. I wondered if it was injured. It hopped into the chicken wire and was trying to get through it. I was worried it was going to get trapped so I put it in a cardboard box to try to see if it was injured.

It doesn´t look injured but wasn´t able to fly out of the box. At that point the mum and dad blackbird were around. I then moved the box away from the wire fence and put it on its side so the bird could get out.

When I went to check if it had left the box, it was still there.... what should I do? Any advice gratefully received. I have no idea if it should be able to fly by now or not. My friend said the best thing to do is to let it go, which is why I tipped the box on its side.
24.06.14 12 st 12 lb (waist 45" at fattest part of belly)
7.10.14 11 st 9 lb
26.02.15 12 st 5 1/2 lb
27.05.15 11 st 5.6 lb
4.8.17 11 st 1lb
Target weight: 10 1/2 stone

Comments

• 3v3
    3v3 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Options
    I would leave it alone. It could be a bit shocked at being placed in a cardboard box and unsure what to do next; make sure the box isn't in full sun and let the bird decide.
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    Is it possible to get to the nest?
    If it is I would put a pair of gloves on and pop it back in.
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • crazyc_2
    crazyc_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi :)
    Assuming it's mostly feathered up (indicating a older chick) - it's quite normal for blackbird fledglings to leave the nest before they can fly properly, and one/both parents keep a close eye on them during that time.

If it were me (now that it's in the box) I would put the box on its side so the youngster can get out easily or remove the box completely since new unfamiliar things can be scary for birds. Then leave the chick alone for a while. If you want to check if it is ok do so from a distance. It's important not to spook the parents incase they get too scared to encourage the fledgling to fly, and provide food, because that would decrease its chances of survival.

Hope it works out for the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport