We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

mecanopsis

Options
Hi,
I recently purchased four blue poppies from T&M on one of their special deals but the last time I bought one of these poppies it died after it flowered. Has anyone ever managed to grow these successfully and if so, can you please tell me how!

Proud mum to four rescue hens

Comments

• Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    If it flowered it was successful as it's an annual.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • aeb_2
    aeb_2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if the plants last year after year but they do self seed very easily. Just don't be too tidy!

aims for 2014 - grow more fruit and veg, declutter
  • Daftanian
    Daftanian Posts: 378 Forumite
    Options
    If it flowered it was successful as it's an annual.

I thought this particular plant was a perennial. It flowered and subsequently died. No seeds like the usual annual poppies I have in the garden.

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They're not an annual , but very tricky to keep going . Best I've managed is about 3 years.... they like very specific conditions, not too wet, not too dry ...a bit of shade, soil on the acid side etc.

Stunning colour though, when they flower.
  • J_J_Carter
    J_J_Carter Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Options
    >I recently purchased four blue poppies from T&M <

Me too! I've planted in a trough, filled with a peat-based mix with grit, and placed where they go into shade by about 11am. Will try to only water with rainwater.
  • AnGee
    AnGee Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    I bought these from T&M too. From what I've read - they last approx 4 years, but you mustn't let them flower in the first year. If in the right place, they can self seed. Let's hope ours survive. I've put mine in the mini greenhouse for now. When I put them out I'm going to try putting them in different parts of the garden, hoping that one will be in the right place! Good luck :)
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    Daftanian wrote: »
    I thought this particular plant was a perennial. It flowered and subsequently died. No seeds like the usual annual poppies I have in the garden.

Which one was it exactly?

Are you sure it's died and not just died back?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Daftanian
    Daftanian Posts: 378 Forumite
    Options
    Which one was it exactly?

Are you sure it's died and not just died back?

Cannot remember which one exactly. I bought it from a garden centre, already in flower and it was a reasonable size. That was about three years ago. When the flowers died, the plant seemed to go with it. That's why I bought four small ones at a fraction of the cost of the one from the garden centre. I have never seen it growing in anyone's garden.

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Daftanian wrote: »
    I have never seen it growing in anyone's garden.

There's a clue there, somewhere! ;)
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    Are they Himalayan Blue Poppies? I planted a few and they didn't flower second year but they are now in their 6th year of flowering. Lovely surprise as I'd given up on them. Absolutely stunning, especially as they bloom just when the bulbs die back, yet too early for summer plants.

Leave them be and see what happens?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport