We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

bolted onions

Options
hi all.

Have pulled up my red onions,they have as i'm told bolted as they have long (about 2 feet) green stems and what I think are seeds forming at the top.What I want to know is,should I cut off the storks or just leave them?They have been out of the ground for a few days now and do not look any different,they have not wilted or changed colour.My other onions are the same but are still in the ground,would it be a good idea to pull them too or leave them?
And,how do you tie them together?

Thanks all that are kind enough to help.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think they are OK to pull and eat but they wont store well.

I pull them and eat then straight away. I dont hang them to dry or anything.

If you have too many i would consider freezing them.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• woodwoman
    woodwoman Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    What about those still in the ground?

How do i tie them?

How do I freeze them?

Do I cut them down?As in get rid of the green stalks and ends.

Thanks.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with FMname's post.

Chop the flowering stalks off now and make a note of which ones are affected as they won't store well. Make those a priority to dig up and eat first.

What do you mean by tying them? Do you mean plaiting them for longer term storage? If so, that won't work as they won't keep.

As you've pulled them up, I'd recommend you chop them up and freeze them - perhaps do it in layers on open trays, then bag them up once frozen so they don't all clump together.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cut them up and saute them in olive oil or butter, then freeze in portions ready for soup of quiches etc
  • woodwoman
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Would of been nice to store them.Still never mind.

Guess i'll make a start on chopping and freezing tomorrow.

Could i pickle them?Would be a saving if thats possibe.What do you think?
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Bolted onions don't pickle well because there's a hard core in the centre, sorry.

You could dry the onions, but can't advise as I haven't tried it.

The best option really is the freezer. I just chop them and bung them in a bag. A strong one. When I need some onions, I bash the bag and then pour a few out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    drying is fantastic but works best with a de-hydrator. I dried my bolted onions as my freezer is full
  • Vamps
    Vamps Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Just for future reference, as soon as you see a flower tip start to grow, nip it off as low as you can and the onion in some cases can continue to grow. Unfortunately leaving it for too long, takes all the goodness of the onion to the flower head, so onion not so good.

I have had success with this in the past, just make sure you use them before the onions that didn't bolt, as other people have suggested, as they will store, but not for as long.
  • woodwoman
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I've a lot of chopping ahead of me today.:eek:

Will have to keep an eye on them next time.
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've found that bolted onions don't 'bulb up' so you never get a decent onion from them. Also found that red onions bolt more than green ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure