We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Black ants/ eggs on bean plants

Options
My 7yr old D.S grow his first beans and very big and nice they were too, we pulled the first off today, but when we looked closely at the flowers they were covered in black eggs/ants any advice please.
Don't sweat the small stuff, Its all small stuff.

Comments

• a1cat
    a1cat Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    More likely to be blackfly. Is it broad beans? Common problem. You pinch out the growing tip after a few weeks.
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    My daughter told me that the ants "milk" sap from greenfly so maybe they are the young greenfly maybe?
    I did nearly vomit my breakfast when she revealed this lovely info_pale_
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter told me that the ants "milk" sap from greenfly so maybe they are the young greenfly maybe?
    I did nearly vomit my breakfast when she revealed this lovely info_pale_
    They do it with blackfly too which is what this is.
  • smileitconfusespeople_2
    Options
    a1cat wrote: »
    More likely to be blackfly. Is it broad beans? Common problem. You pinch out the growing tip after a few weeks.

Hi ya yes it is broad beans.
  • smileitconfusespeople_2
    Options

Sorry, novice here:o what is the growing tip please.
  • a1cat
    Options
    Sorry, novice here:o what is the growing tip please.

It's the 'leader' ie the main and most important growing tip on the plant.

The one growing up strongest and fastest.

The trick is to pinch it out when you are going to get a decent crop, not too early but not too late :D:D:D:D:D
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    They do it with blackfly too which is what this is.

cheers- I hadnt even thought about blackflys really- ive seen them but never really taken notice of stuff till this year when ive started gardening:o
    ive got red lilly beetles now-no one told me about those:eek:
  • a1cat
    Options
    cheers- I hadnt even thought about blackflys really- ive seen them but never really taken notice of stuff till this year when ive started gardening:o
    ive got red lilly beetles now-no one told me about those:eek:
    Squash 'em, dead
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    Squash 'em, dead
    I have been- i hate crawly things but go in with " im a gardener now" mode, picking off eggs and stuff:o:rotfl:
  • Fluffysheep38
    Options
    Hello

I had real trouble with ants milking the aphids on my apple tree. I tried painting on black gluey stuff so they couldn't get up the tree, but it always dried out a few days later and they'd be back on it.

In the end, I put a little pot of golden syrup at the base of the tree and they headed for that instead.... so diverting them away from the tree. They went in the syrup and got stuck..... therefore leaving less ants to be climbing up my apple tree!

I'm fairly new at growing veg (2nd year) and there are lots of pest problems you don't think of. It's very educational to read up on the reasons why the insects do what they do, its not just to ruin our crops lol!

I have lots of ladybird larvae which is turning into ladybirds at the moment and its fascinating to watch!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure