We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

My Back Yard

Options
tizerbelle
tizerbelle Posts: 1,832 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I live in a typical northern terraced house with a small east-south east-ish facing back yard (walled courtyard garden for all you estate agents / southerners out there).

For almost 3 years I've lived with it simply as a paved yard and done nothing out there, in fact rarely used it at all apart from accessing the bin. The paving wasn't overly level and drainage not good so most of the time, the pavers were a lovely algae green - the only green in the yard!!

So earlier this year I decided something needed to be done, unfortunately that meant going right back to basics i.e. repairing and repointing the walls for a start - took me ages, yes I did it myself, never done it before and to be honest you wouldn't want me to repoint your house, actually I wouldn't want me to repoint my house but as it was just the yard walls and they were going to be painted anyway, I did alright I think.

Then it was on to painting and finally taking up some pavers and digging my first ever border - it's only 45cms deep and 2.7m long but I dug it, removed big bricks and stones, sieved the remaining soil, added new top soil and manure and finally I had a border and made a decision - no more digging borders - my back couldn't take it. It's all very well doing the digging but then theres the getting the removed pavers plus 10 sacks of extracted rubble to the tip. Yes 10 sacks - probably enough bricks for me to have rebuilt the outside loo if I'd wanted to! I even built my own raised planter
with trellis from £2.00 deck planks. Another, done it once, not doing it again experience - last woodworking I did (apart from laminate floor beading and flat pack furniture) was a pencil box in woodwork class over 30 years ago.

So cos I'm feeling a bit smug (although not completely finished yet - I need to repaint the gate at very least and the bench needs oiling), I thought I'd share my before and after photos with you - taken 2 months apart. I know its not a fruit and veg garden and most of you are green-fingered growers but I've never had a garden of my own before (not entirely true - I once had a "wildlife" garden that I ignored for 6 years) and it is money-saving in that I spend so much time just sat out there relaxing now that I'm not using the electricity to watch tv / use pc etc. Come to that I'm not doing the housework either so thats less hot-water for washing up, electric for hoovering and washer etc! Who'd have thought gardening would drastically reduce your electric bill!

Here's the before:

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

And here's the after:

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

A few more photos here if anyone is interested - http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee440/tizerbelle/Back%20Yard%20-%20After/

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a transformation; just proves what can be done with a little space. It certainly deserves the walled courtyard title rather than backyard now.

Given the amount of wall you have, my onlly suggestion would be that you think about a few more climbers; maybe one in the border and some annuals like sweetpeas?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very well done - it looks really good. You should be very proud of yourself, now sit back and enjoy it
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    I love this- It shows what a little care and imagination can do in a small place!:T
    to "enlarge" slightly Id maybe add garden mirrors with a few climbers to blend them in but it still looks lovely as it is!
    having lived up north and suffered the winters and overcast summer in a terrace it really benefits your spirit to have a little place to escape to outdoors!:)
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • tizerbelle
    Options
    I'm umming and ahhing about climbers at the moment, can't decide what I want where and unlike the other plants they can't be re-sited as easily (I don't think).

I think for the rest of this year I need to enjoy it and figure out what works and what doesn't and actually see what happens to the plants before I go upwards - did I say I know nothing!!

But that said, I have a feeling more plants will be bought before the month is out - got 2 nepeta, something else; a eucalyptus and a £3.00 carrot cake for £5.10 today - not sure what happened there but I got cake and plants cheap - fantastic day!!
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    That looks lovely! Come and "Do an Alan" on my garden please.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • tizerbelle
    Options
    Rebob wrote: »
    That looks lovely! Come and "Do an Alan" on my garden please.

LOL! The lovely Mr Titchmarsh seems to keep to his plans for a garden, my finished product bears absolutely no relation to the 3 plans I drew up beforehand! Mind you even though the plans didn't work, it was great fun doing them - coloured pencils and all!
  • a1cat
    a1cat Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    Well done to you! :beer::D:beer::D:beer:
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I were you I would feel more than smug, that is a fantastic transformation, I bet you get such a lot of pleasure from that.
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    When I saw the first "after" picture my immediate reaction was to say "that looks lovely". You should be really proud of yourself - no wonder you spend so much time in it. And I love how you've made the most of the space - that's real talent. Well done!

Lizzy
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • tizerbelle
    Options
    lizzyb1812 wrote: »
    When I saw the first "after" picture my immediate reaction was to say "that looks lovely". You should be really proud of yourself - no wonder you spend so much time in it. And I love how you've made the most of the space - that's real talent. Well done!

Lizzy

Thank you - it's amazing that despite there being so much more stuff in it than before it actually feels so much bigger than it used to :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure