We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Jerusalem Artichokes

Options
3v3
3v3 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
Obviously, I'm too late for planting them now ( :( ) but, what would you advise that I do with them until I am able to plant them out? Also, have a horseradish root and some garlic.

TIA

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would plant the artichokes now, no problem ....but don't harvest any (or only a few) this year. Once established you'll never get rid of them anyway.

Horseradish is fine to plant anytime .....leave until the autumn, and then dig up and use the root - if it isn't big enough just replant and it will grow bigger next year. As long as you leave even a tiny piece of root behind, it will always grow back.

Garlic - you are too late for. Either needs to be planted in late autumn ....November time , or around Feb.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I would plant the artichoke & horseradish now, they will grow but maybe not enough to get a crop this year, otherwise they will just shrivel up

Are you aware both are very invasive? I would plant in large pot for now, until you have sorted out the final areas, or maybe you have a five acre field and invasive plants are not a problem?

Garlic, no idea, personally I hate the stuff, so chuck it in the bin :D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • 3v3
    Options
    Thank you, both.

Faraway, I only have 1/4 acre, not 5 ;) but that is a very good point about planting in a large pot :beer:

TonyMMM - could I leave the garlic bulbs in a dark cool shed until Nov/Feb? Or should I just throw them away?
  • newsgroup_monkey
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend planting horseradish in anything but a pot.
    If you see our allotment you will understand that it is nearly as invasive as nettles and horsetail!

I collected a bin bag full last weekend. I reckon that's less than 1% of what's currently sitting around the allotment.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    3v3 wrote: »
    TonyMMM - could I leave the garlic bulbs in a dark cool shed until Nov/Feb? Or should I just throw them away?

They will almost certainly start sprouting long before then and .... I would just use them in the kitchen, and get some more at planting time.
  • 3v3
    Options
    Sorry to be a pain ... if they grow like mad, would it matter if they were grown in a dappled/north facing aspect?
    I have an area which was formally tree rich (now stump rich) and I'd like to grow things which would add to the area but still be productive (of sorts; hence the horseradish) and I intend to grow fruit trees in that space. So, would the horseradish and JA's be ok, even if it is/will be shaded/dappled for 35% of daylight hours?

TIA :)
  • a1cat
    a1cat Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    They grow like weeds - so: yes
  • 3v3
    Options
    a1cat wrote: »
    They grow like weeds - so: yes
    Thank you :) Now I have the ideal place to put them :D :beer:
  • ladylouise62
    ladylouise62 Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    Don't worry about the JA being invasive. Yes, it's easy not to get all the tubers when you dig them up, but it's not like one of those weeds where just a shred of root will reproduce, it needs a tuber, so when they start sprouting in the Spring it's easy to spot them and dig them out before they get growing properly. I have easily controlled where mine have grown in that way, and also got rid of them.... only to decide to grow them again this year :)

As for the garlic - it won't keep but you could plant and use the growth as a sort of garlicky chive.
  • dogstarheaven
    dogstarheaven Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    my JA are about 4.5ft tall now and I hear they could do with a Chelsea-type of Chop (tho' not in May but when they get to a certain height) and it's meant to encourage more growth - does anyone do this at all? they're dead easy to grow, aren't they - most suitable for a beginner :D:D i can't wait to roast them (used to cook them in soups)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure