We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Not sure what potatoes planted - when to lift?

Options
Hi - I bought some seed potatoes from Wilkos, which went in around 5 or 6 weeks ago. They are in a container which is now full of compost 2 and a half feet tall. The plants are half a foot from the top of the compost. No flowers.

I'm not sure what variety they are - managed to throw away the cardboard label.

Can anyone advise when to harvest?

Many thanks.

Comments

• a1cat
    a1cat Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    you could always dig a hole down at the side and feel around to see how big they are - this way you won't do any significant damage if they're too small.

Otherwise, if you want earlies, 8-10 weeks would be safer. If you want a big crop, you can wait until the foliage loses vigour.
  • BaconandEggs
    Options
    They're in a platstic bag type container so digging round might be difficult. I could try and do this at the 10 week mark.

Can traditional "main crop" potatoes be harvested as earlies and vice versa?
  • a1cat
    a1cat Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    Certainly :D
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ours are huge but still not ready. They're about 2 1/2 half foot over the top of the pots. I've just had a look and tiny flowers are forming, so a couple of weeks to go yet.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

once the flowers have appeared, if I cut the foliage down a good bit will it increase the crop?
  • BaconandEggs
    BaconandEggs Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    a1cat wrote: »
    Certainly :D

Why are they often talked about in terms of earlies/main?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure