Phone calls have started :(

Options
beck1991
beck1991 Posts: 23 Forumite
Hi we're now on step 2 of our iva application with payplan. Last month we paid nominal £10 to all our creditor and we just started to get default letters and have now had 2 days worth of calls. I just keep saying my husband isn't in but I don't want to annoy them (or reduce our chances of the iva being accepted, if this could happen) What is the best way to deal with the calls, while we're waiting for the iva process to go through?

I know it sounds silly but I've been feeling sick ever since they first rang, I'm not sure how I'm going to cope for another 4/5 wks till we get our creditor meeting date.

Comments

• judojub
    judojub Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    beck1991 wrote: »
    Hi we're now on step 2 of our iva application with payplan. Last month we paid nominal £10 to all our creditor and we just started to get default letters and have now had 2 days worth of calls. I just keep saying my husband isn't in but I don't want to annoy them (or reduce our chances of the iva being accepted, if this could happen) What is the best way to deal with the calls, while we're waiting for the iva process to go through?

I know it sounds silly but I've been feeling sick ever since they first rang, I'm not sure how I'm going to cope for another 4/5 wks till we get our creditor meeting date.

Hi beck.
    It is a stressful time when the phonecalls begin. You can choose to ignore the phonecalls but it might make them more persistant. Just tell them you are entering into an IVA, give them the name of your IP, your reference number and IPs phone number and end the call.

They will try their hardest to get a payment from you and some will tell you all sorts. One tried to imply to me that she could make sure my IVA failed!!!! For the record that is rubbish. Nobody from the call centres will have any knowledge of your IVA and they certainly will not be able to influence any decision with regard to your IVA.

Just keep strong and remember this is just the means to an end. The calls and letters will stop eventually, just don't let them bully you! x
  • bernard828
    bernard828 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Points to remember:

1) The people calling you are sat in call centres and are told to phone you by a computer. The computer even does the dialling for them. They are trained to keep you on the phone and talking as this means you're more likely to make a payment to them. They are commission-paid. Incidentally, most of the letters you receive are computer-generated.

2) IVA companies tend to deal with the accountants of the banks. You're talking companies like Grant Thornton, KPMG, PWC, that kind of person. In most cases the IVA proposal doesn't even go to the bank concerned - the IP sends it directly to the accountant. The accountant notifies the banks, and the accounts are quietly frozen. The accountant won't look at your file notes, or pay any attention at all to what you may or may not have said over the phone. They'll judge the proposal on its merits.

In other words, please get out of your head the idea that the monkey on the end of the phone has anything to do with your IVA application or can affect it in any way. They're more likely to be having a drinking session with Frankie Boyle, Paul Gascoigne and the ghost of George Best at the weekend than they are to be voting on your IVA.

Tell anyone who phones that you're not paying anything and that you're going for an IVA, Then put the phone down. End of story.
  • To_be_Free
    To_be_Free Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    I found that if you answer the phone and tell them that you are going for an IVA and give them the name of your IP or company dealing with your IVA and your reference number most will put a stop on any calls for the next 14-28 days, of course some don't and I had one that threaten to send a caller round to my door (which indecently never happened) which I replied if you want to waste time and money go ahead as I will tell them to go away as I don't accept personal callers. Hang in there, as it is a great feeling when the IVA has started and the calls all stop and your life starts to get back on track.
    :laugh:
    Free at last
  • stig.of.the.dump_2
    Options
    Hi First thing well done on working your way through your situation.You will get through this have you spoken to the C.A.B ??? Have you written down a financial statement and sent this to your creditors.
    You can ask them to contact you by letter only under current law,this should stop phone calls.
    If it does not you can complain. If they continue to phone all ways ask for a name and make a note of it.
    I had the same challenge when I first started to sort out my finances last year,all phone calls stooped and we then correspond via letter. Be polite with whoever phones you but firm and tell them you will only correspond via letter.Continue to pay a set amount as you are at the moment.

Robert
  • beck1991
    Options
    Thanks all yes I have payplans details next to the phone now to give them when they call..

It sounds like we're looking at a creditors meeting mid July so hopefully it won't be too long before we get it sorted out. Payplan told me today the iva acceptance level is about 95% so I'm feeling more hopeful about all this.

Thanks again
  • beck1991
    Options
    Aaaargh having really problems with Capitol one have given them the details but are ringing home, work & mobile at least 5 times a day :( have stopped picking up mobile & home but work is trickier. Any ideas how to stop them please?
  • adfax
    adfax Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest, Capital One were my biggest pain. At some point in the past I must have telephoned them from my parents' number, as they had 'recorded' this number and were phoning my parents' telephone too!

As far as how to get rid of them - no simple answer I'm afraid. My strategy was get BT to change my telephone number, and give them a mobile number (which was left switched off most of the time). I wrote countless letters, threatening Data Protection, harrassment and all sorts.

They did ring me once at work. And not that I am condoning telling lies to your creditors, but when they asked to speak to Mr X I denied all knowledge of that person and told them they had the wrong number. They never tried me at work again.

If I remember correctly though the calls only stopped after my IVA was agreed, which I know is a cold comfort but rest assured they do stop then.

In the meantime, you can either tell them you are applying for an IVA, and when you get bored of repeating that 5 times a day just don't answer their security questions and hang up.

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, these people can't affect the outcome of you getting an IVA, so don't feel that you have to speak to them. And above all else, whatever they may say, don't pay them anything.
  • debtfree2016
    debtfree2016 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    Hi beck1991

like you my phone is ringing, mobile house and wifes mobile.... decided the if the number wasn't recongnisable then it wouldn't be answered, although in saying this I did write to all my creditors directly explaing that was applying for an IVA and the details they required. So, as far as i'm concerend I have told my creditors in writing the details required and therefore I don't really need to speak to them. As the saying goes there is no point in haveing a dog and barking yourself.
    Once I have had my creditors meeting (haven't had a date yet) I will then answer the phone as I will have more details for them. I know it's not easy but put your mobile on silent and your house phone on the shortest amount of rings and let it go to answerphone... I have told relavtives and friends trying to phone me that i'm getting alot of cold callers so I won't be answering the phone but to leave a message i will call them back.
    Bestof luck
    Never make assumptions always ask questions>>>>>;)
  • ditsydoris_2
    Options
    If anyone rings up and asks for you to answer security questions then be obstructive. I had Capital One phone me and ask to answer security questions. I said no. I told them they could tell me the answers and I would confirm if they were right ( ie date of birth ). They said Data Protection didn't work like that. I told them it did in my house!. They said they would write to me. I told them go on. I have never received a letter. I am in dispute with Capital One so I am paying no money. Play any creditor at their own game. When they phone and ask for security details turn it round on them. Tell them to give you the info they have on you and you will confirm it. I guarantee they won't bother! They have phoned YOU and asked YOU to confirm YOUR details. How do you know they even have the answer? Tell them to B*gger off! They soon put the phone down!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure