We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What do you think of this?

Options
renegade
renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
edited 8 June 2011 at 7:24AM in Gardening
I am having an area approx 16sq yds turfing and some trees lopping in my small shrubbery.
Quotes I have had are 250- 450 pounds, meadow turf, just an area to use for outdoor table & chairs so dont need any expensive stuff.
The ground is solid and clay type soil.
Neither of the men have said they will dig and feed before laying the turf, they just want to put a couple of inches of topsoil on after clearing weeds and levelling slightly.
They both will remove rubbish.
What do you think?
As I am an OAP on my own I don't want to get ripped off.
Would it be cheaper/better/more expensive to have it decked?
You live..You learn.:)

Comments

• Mrs_Domino
    Mrs_Domino Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I didn't want to read and run, and in the process i have bumped this for you :D

There is a thread on here about edecks somewhere which might help with your decision.
  • earthlysparky
    Options
    I would guestimate that turf and top soil will prob cost under £100. I suppose you have to decide if you feel that the rest of the money is a fair price for what sounds like a fairly basic turf laying job, some clearing and pruning. I suspect that decking would be a bigger/more costly job. However, it would be a one off job, with very little maintenance, unlike a new lawn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure