A Suggestion For Prospective Halifaxers...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
30 replies 3.7K views
oscarhugooscarhugo Forumite
492 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
'Twas just an idea, but -- why don't those of you who are contemplating applying for a Halifax One card purely for the 9-mo.-0% deal & who will be immediately B/T'ing the debt after the nine months is up [and possibly cancelling the card at that stage as well] apply for one of Halifax's charity-affinity cards instead? **

These cards do the 9-mo.-0% as well. They have a higher interest rate but that needn't concern the stoozing fraternity, need it?

No, the advantage of these cards is that the Halifax gives 20 quid to the charity as soon "as the card is used for the first time" and I ASSUME (and hope I'm not making an !!!!!! of u & me] that "used for the first time" should include B/Ts - after all it doesn't say anything about "spending" in the offer.

I've just been accepted for the Cancer Research card. I'd been turned down more than once by Halifax in the past year, despite having previously cancelled all my Halifax & BOS cards, but after a few months I was pleasantly surprised to get accepted today. Open your pockets ready, Cancer Research!

** Better still, apply for the Cancer Research PLATINUM card which donates FIFTY quid to C.Research instead of £20 ! Muchas grassy !!!!!! to Bethyblue612 for supplying this intelligence, which is [if my technical ability will allow...] as follows:-

The Halifax Platinum card pays £50 to Cancer Research

Link here http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/don...te/platinumcard

Basically, you apply over the phone "Please call 0800 032 0409 and quote reference PRE261"

[if you can't get this link to work -- and i can't -- then click on bethyblue612's original link on page 2]

O R , t r y t h i s l i n k [ n e w e d i t ] : -

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/donate/other_ways_donate/platinumcard
Expect the worst & hope for the best...

Replies

• ShindsShinds Forumite
    448 Posts
    ✭✭
    very thoughtfull idea!
  • MidasMidas Forumite
    594 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Yes that is quite a good idea if you still get the 9 months interest free - are the credit limits as good. Halifax One seemed fairly generous with me for credit limit. I suspect that you might have to use the card for a purchase to make them pay the charity (haven't checked T&Cs), but its not a big prob as you can just buy something in Tesco's for 50p and put it on your card. They don't seem to care!
    Midas.
  • oscarhugooscarhugo Forumite
    492 Posts
    Well, the Cancer Research card gave me a c/l of £9k [so it said on-line] -- I thought that was pretty generous!
    492 Posts
    Boiiinnnngggg!!!
    492 Posts
    . . . ....
    492 Posts
    Just to get this back onto 'The Front Page' again for the sake of Cancer Research..

The young lady in Customer Service at Halifax wasn't "sure" whether BTing counted as "useage" or whether it need to be a purchase. So... I've BTed all but 5 quid of my C/L and am going to 'spend' the remaining £5 on a donation on the Cancer Research website.
  • JCLJCL Forumite
    574 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    I'm going to go for this one so thanks for the info.

I'm also running the London Marathon in just over 3 weeks in aid of Cancer Research UK so if anyone wants to support me please click the link in my sig. Could be your purchase? :)

Many thanks.
    MFW 2015 #41 = £20,515/£20,515
    MFW 2014 #41 = £26,100/£25,000
    MFW 2013 #41 = £10,000/£10,000
    Original MF date = May 2036 - MF achieved on 15 June 2015
    492 Posts
    JCL wrote:

I'm also running the London Marathon in just over 3 weeks in aid of Cancer Research UK so if anyone wants to support me please click the link in my sig. Could be your purchase? :)

QUOTE]

I'll certainly have a look at it when I get time & seriously consider it. Tks yrs.
  • fatboyonadietfatboyonadiet Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    oscarhugo if this a 0% BT card and you make a £5 purchase you will be charged interest and as you did the BT first any payments made will pay that off first, OK the interest on £5 won't be massive but just thought you might like to be made aware.

If it's 0% on purchases and BT it should be fine. BT do normally count as activity on an account, MBNA normally send out any free gifts once you do a BT.

Hope this helps.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • cloud_dogcloud_dog Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both the Halifax One and Charity cards are 0% for 9 months on BT's and purchases. The only thing I could find out (from their web site T's & C's) is if a BT counts as "using" the card - my opinion would be not but, as its 0% on purchases no prob's.

cloud_dog
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals