MBNA credit card help!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
3 replies 1.1K views
Daytona_nevDaytona_nev Forumite
1.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I currently own 2 MBNA credit cards.

One is a Virgin card where the introductary rate expired a while ago & i have a zero balance.

The other is an Abbey card on which i owe approx 8k and the intro rate expires in June.

The minimum payment of £5 on MBNA cards suits me at the moment as it means i can put more away into savings.

I'm aware that you can have several mbna cards at one time & now i think its time for me to apply for a new one. Can anyone recommend one? Will i have to transfer my 8k balance to another card first ( i have several others ) before i can transfer onto my new MBNA card.

MBNA also can move credit limits between cards ( which is what they did for my Abbey card ) which is why i think i might have to move to another card first, then shift my credit limit to my new mbna card, then transfer the balance to the new mbna card.

Replies

• grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not forget about 2% balance transfer fee for most of MBNA cards - ALLEGEDLY with no max limit.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • JUst been looking at their Alliance & Leicester card which has a £35 max fee.

Which then begs the question, do these companies charge interest on the balance transfer fee itself?
  • ReaperReaper Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is very little to choose between them (except Virgin which you already have). I'd suggest you look at the MBNA site and read some summary boxes on the different cards. BTs are increasingly being charged a 2% fee with the upper limit £35, £50, or unlimited. So choose one which has a £35 limit.

However MBNA are tightening up on people doing just what you are - tarting/stoozing and making them no money. So you may well find it hard to get more MBNA cards. No real harm in trying though.

You can not BT directly between MBNA cards. I suggest you pay off your current cards first and then apply for a new one. Alternatively go for a non-MBNA card and then you can BT directly between them.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals