Garden infested with earwigs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
14 replies 2K views
sam.4000sam.4000 Forumite
1.4K Posts
Ninth Anniversary
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I lifted a pot today and there were about 30 baby earwigs. They seem to be everywhere. So I did a little research on how to get rid of them. So far I have:

:DMade 5 oil traps with honey to attract the earwigs (plastic takeaway boxes with slits in with 1/2 inch of vegetable oil) placed them in corners of the garden.

:DMade up a washing up liquid solution that I have used on the ones I have found to kill them (seems quite effective)

:DPut earwig powder down behind raised beds and in dark recesses of the garden

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Also I put some squash plants in pots in the garden (on the floor) and left them overnight,the stems were attacked will this be the earwigs?

Replies

• Lotus-eaterLotus-eater Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the general view is that they cause almost no problems and certainly this is the experience of myself. However last year in a certain area of the garden which has strange problems, they destroyed some brassicas of mine, very hard to be sure what was causing it, even after contacting the RHS, but a few nights with a torch confirmed my guess that earwigs were the problem.

I think I used oil traps next to the affected areas and it seemed to sort it out.

I wouldn't worry about it tbh, unless you have unexplained damage. Go out one night and look at the squash plants, if you see earwigs chances are they might be causing the problem. Slugs will also do this damage.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • sam.4000sam.4000 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I have since moved my squash plants.
    The problem I have with earwigs is I absolutely hate them, my skin crawls whenever I see one and I can't live with that many in my garden. I am just about to go and check traps (wish my neighbours luck, yes I do scream especially if one gets on my skin). I am a big wimp.
  • ixwoodixwood Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    You're scared of them? Really?

They're tiny and harmless. What's to be scared of? They're one of the few insects that show maternal care, if that makes them seem nicer and any less scary.

Although they cause some damage to plants occasionally, they're supposed to eat plant pests and eggs too and are food for birds, lizards, newts, frogs, hedgehogs etc.

All part of a healthy ecosystem. If you can't guess, I'd leave them be! :)
  • Lotus-eaterLotus-eater Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they can hurt us very much at all, maybe a little nip, but they do look a little fearsome. A looks worse than it is insect.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • sam.4000sam.4000 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    ixwood wrote: »
    You're scared of them? Really?

They're tiny and harmless. What's to be scared of? They're one of the few insects that show maternal care, if that makes them seem nicer and any less scary.

Although they cause some damage to plants occasionally, they're supposed to eat plant pests and eggs too and are food for birds, lizards, newts, frogs, hedgehogs etc.

All part of a healthy ecosystem. If you can't guess, I'd leave them be! :)
    I really don't like them and yes I know logically there is nothing to be scared of but I just can't stand them.
  • valk_scotvalk_scot Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thing is anything that you use for exterminating earwigs will almost certainly also kill other beneficial insects in your garden too. And anything that normally eats the earwigs will turn to other insect food with the same negative effect. So by messing around with the current balance in your garden you may end up doing more harm than good. The other thing is that if you've got kids it's best to keep any irrational fears like this well under wraps otherwise you'll pass them on and that's not great either as I'm sure you'll agree. How about investing in a good pair of gardening gloves and a long sleeved shirt from the charity shop, with tight buttoned cuffs? Then you can be sure you're not going to touch one by mistake and perhaps relax a bit.
    Val.
  • newsgroup_monkeynewsgroup_monkey Forumite
    849 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    sam.4000 wrote: »
    I really don't like them and yes I know logically there is nothing to be scared of but I just can't stand them.

I'm not the biggest fan, but my OH is like you. She hates the things.

She'll happily have black ants and spiders and millipedes and worms wandering all over her hands but not Earwigs.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
  • jenie_2jenie_2 Forumite
    491 Posts
    I can sympathise with you sam, with me its moths, daft I know, but I've been the same since I was a little girl. I'm okay with the tiny ones, but its those big brown fluffy things that give me the creeps.
  • rosy798rosy798 Forumite
    494 Posts
    I have an absolute phobia about them, will jump on the table if I see one!!!!! I think it is becausemy mom told me they go in your ears and make a nest. I am old enogh to know better now but it makes no differance at all. I am not a wimp normally, snakes, sharks,crocs, no problem, but these critters no way. That is why i wont have dahlias in my garden, earwigs fave food.
  • dizziblondedizziblonde Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    My mum's utterly phobic of them - spent much of my childhood hearing "AAAAAHGHHHHHHH IT'S A TWITCHYBELL!"

I have a phobia of slugs - I will run away from them if at all possible. Completely irrational - but phobias are.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News