Carob

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
3 replies 649 views
THIRZAHTHIRZAH Forumite
1.5K Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Does anyone know if carob trees would grow in this country? We've just come back from Majorca and the trees were everywhere.

Replies

• Sally_ASally_A Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've not seen any reference to UK trees, they all seem to be around Portugal, Spain, Malta. I know Carob as a chocolate replacement has been a bit of a fad amongst the "trendies".

Am hard pushed to find a seller in the UK.
  • avantraavantra Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    No, they don't tolerate frost very well. Very sweet honey tasting pods, when I was tiddler I lived in the eastren med and they were everywhere. yamm..
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • glenn77glenn77 Forumite
    70 Posts
    We went to Malta a couple of years ago and i picked up a few interesting seedpods from under a large tree. I brought them back and didnt do anything with them for a year or so. After we moved house we gained a large greenhouse and whilst i was sorting it out i found the seed pods. I planted several of the seeds this spring and now have 4 little carob trees growing about 5 inches high at the moment. I read too that they were intolerant of frost so plan to try and grow them indoors in the cold weather as bonsai versions. Oh well nothing lost if it fails.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides