We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Courgette Plant Damage

Options
DavidAC
DavidAC Posts: 299 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have been putting my courgette plans out to harden them off before planting in the ground since they are quite large with five or more leaves. I have now lost two of them because the roots were torn from the trunk during a windy day. Is this a common problem or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never heard of that personally, nor had anything like that happen.
    Could it be cats or foxes sitting against the plant and breaking them that way?

I wouldn't harden them off just yet anyway with a strong wind blowing, mine won't go out till the end of the month and I'm in the south.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine are out, but they are in sheltered spots.
    Put out wind protection, they need it this early.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Wappers
    Wappers Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Stick 2 or three thin sticks in to prevent the bushes swaying too much in the wind.
  • scottishchick27
    scottishchick27 Posts: 4,949 Forumite
    Options
    Oops mine are out already too and I have heaps of baby courgettes on them already, they are in pots so if it gets really windy then I can put them into the shed for a while.
    :j little fire cracker born 5th November 2012 :j
  • diluvsdiscounts
    diluvsdiscounts Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I planted mine out last weekend and then let the chickens out,what a mistake. I know they don't mean to harm the plants they just want the grubs in the soil. My DH has renamed them the destroyers!!
    I have got three pieces of glass(the windows out of our old shed) so to compromise I now cover them with that (the courgettes not the chickens!)before letting the destroyers out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure