We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

New gardener - advice appreciated.

Options
Hi all,

I'm very new to growing veg.

First year I've attempted it really.

I don't want to be overambitious this first year so my aims are:

Tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, salad and radish.

Tomatoes - I've got two Ailsa Craig plants (were bought from carboot a few weeks back) that are going to be grown indoors near a patio door. They are now around a foot and a half in height, starting to flower and growing up canes in big pots. They received their first feed this weekend. They will remain indoors.

Radishes were planted outside yesterday in a large ceramic pot.

Salad seeds were also sown yesterday in a small bad of compost that I cut open.

Carrots. I'll sow some carrot seeds one evening this week in a large deep plastic pot.

I'd appreciate any advice on growing these things but my main questions are about potatoes.

I'd love to grow some potatoes if it's not too late. I noticed that Wilkos are selling seed potatoes with shoots on. Is it too late to plant these (second earlies, or maincrop (they had Rooster variety off top of my head))? I'm planning on growing them in a wooden frame that I'll build as I add more soil (made from 2x2'a and 2 old pallets).

BaconandEggs.

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd stick your tomatoes out every possible moment, when it's not windy and warm enough.
    They need the extra light and it would help harden them up a little, otherwise they will be way too lush if grown inside the house.

It's not too late to plant spuds, I still haven't done some of mine. It is late and you are going to be risking it with blight, but worth a go. Next year try to get in earlier.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • newsgroup_monkey
    newsgroup_monkey Posts: 849 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2011 at 9:26AM
    Options
    Another thing with tomatoes is don't forget they need help with pollination. Obviously, bees are best, but you can pollinate them with an electric toothbrush or a shaver (apparently) by letting the plants vibrate.

I only just put my main crop potatoes in yesterday. My allotment neighbour, a 30 year veteran doesn't put his in until the end of May.

Although they say plant in March/April, they also say avoid the end of the frosts.

My Wilkos had desirees in yesterday on half price. I would avoid first and second earlies though - they should have been planted a month ago.

As for Carrots, you need to be patient. They are really slow growing to start with, but in 5 months, you will have carrots.

The only other advice I would give (It's only my 4th season) is with lettuce - keep it watered. I found lettuces go to seed really quickly if you let them dry out. Once they've done this, they're inedible. Also, don't expect them to get to supermarket size unless you're growing in polytunnels.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would avoid first and second earlies though - they should have been planted a month ago.
    Why is this advice always given, I've never understood it, a potato is a potato, doesn't matter when it's planted.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • newsgroup_monkey
    Options
    Why is this advice always given, I've never understood it, a potato is a potato, doesn't matter when it's planted.

I tried growing some 1st earlies June before last. They went straggly and they really weren't up to much. But as you say, I guess there's no real reason.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.
  • BaconandEggs
    BaconandEggs Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    Is it the breed that determines this too?
  • BaconandEggs
    Options
    Another thing with tomatoes is don't forget they need help with pollination. Obviously, bees are best, but you can pollinate them with an electric toothbrush or a shaver (apparently) by letting the plants vibrate.

I only just put my main crop potatoes in yesterday. My allotment neighbour, a 30 year veteran doesn't put his in until the end of May.

Although they say plant in March/April, they also say avoid the end of the frosts.

My Wilkos had desirees in yesterday on half price. I would avoid first and second earlies though - they should have been planted a month ago.

As for Carrots, you need to be patient. They are really slow growing to start with, but in 5 months, you will have carrots.

The only other advice I would give (It's only my 4th season) is with lettuce - keep it watered. I found lettuces go to seed really quickly if you let them dry out. Once they've done this, they're inedible. Also, don't expect them to get to supermarket size unless you're growing in polytunnels.

I will see what other types of potatoes they have. Where do you all get your potato seeds from?

I'm trying to grow mixed leaf salad. I hear some people remove the leaves and harvest them that way rather than removing a mature plant. What is the best way of doing this?

Have you enjoyed your lettuce?

What type of carrots did you grow. Have you seen purple carrots?
  • BaconandEggs
    Options
    I'd stick your tomatoes out every possible moment, when it's not windy and warm enough.
    They need the extra light and it would help harden them up a little, otherwise they will be way too lush if grown inside the house.

It's not too late to plant spuds, I still haven't done some of mine. It is late and you are going to be risking it with blight, but worth a go. Next year try to get in earlier.

Thank you. I will do this. I didn't want to put them outside 24/7 because I hear there may still be frost here in the midlands this week.

It's also been VERY windy here.

I'll put them out for most of the day if no strong winds are forecast though. I'll temporarily fix the canes to a wall with some wire in case it is windy.
  • newsgroup_monkey
    newsgroup_monkey Posts: 849 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2011 at 11:52AM
    Options
    Last year, we grew Cos and Iceberg. The Cos actually grew to an OK size until they bolted (oops). We did have a couple of dozen though.

As for potatoes, we've had a mixed bag. Last years that failed came from a Garden centre. The main crop that worked really well came from 99p shop. This year, our first earlies came from 99p shop and our main crop came fom RHS Wisley shop (dunno why, but they seemed reasonable enough and a lot of seed potatoes in the bag)

Our friends use Wilkos exclusively. Last year they had both desiree and red rooster, but they only used about 1/3 of the red roosters because there seemed to be about 50 in a bag!

On our allotment, we grow exclusively F1 resistafly because we were told there are horrendous carrot fly problems. At home, we grow the regular Autumn Kings.

My experimentation is around Strawberries. We currently have White Soul (they're the wrong way round - white fruit dark seeds) and some late fruiting ones (Royal Sovereign). As well as a bunch of other types (about 6 types right now)

As for mixed leaf, we tried these last year. They were great, but they didn't grow very big. We eat a lot of salads and prefer big leaves - I'm trying to find some full sized rocket.

EDIT: carrots under fleece? I've not done that. When they say fleece, they mean this
    http://www.plantsbypost.com/garden-netting/garden-fleece-cut-to-lenght.html
    I buy mine in 99p shop for quite a lot. It's not the best, but it works fine.

My allotment neighbour grows his by putting up a wooden frame, surrounding it in fleece and leaving the top open. Apparently it stops carrot fly attacking as they can't get above a few inches above the ground.
  • BaconandEggs
    Options
    EDIT: carrots under fleece? I've not done that. When they say fleece, they mean this
    http://www.plantsbypost.com/garden-netting/garden-fleece-cut-to-lenght.html
    I buy mine in 99p shop for quite a lot. It's not the best, but it works fine.

My allotment neighbour grows his by putting up a wooden frame, surrounding it in fleece and leaving the top open. Apparently it stops carrot fly attacking as they can't get above a few inches above the ground.

oops - i realised it wasn't fleece as in fleece jacket after I posted it. Hence removing that point - in fear of looking like a numpty. :)

From the picture - it looks like net curtain. I wonder if old net curtain material would work?

I've got alot of respect for people growing strawberries. They seem so delicate and I would expect attract alot of pests or anumals wanting to eat them.

I noticed that there are also strawberry plants that grow like little trees and varieties that people grow from hanging baskets. I think that's a great idea - also growing trailing tomatoe plants from baskets seems like a good idea.

Maybe something I will try in future. I'm trying to keep to basics and not get over ambitious at this stage (although since we don't have the largest garden in the world, space contraints help that too).

Does anyone know the best place to get manure and topsoil at a reasonable price?
  • newsgroup_monkey
    Options
    One of the people on our allotment use net curtain although not the stuff with holes in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure