We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

cuckoo spit

Options
cootambear
cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Inspecting one of my strawbs I noticed some of that stuff of prosaic memory, cuckoo spit.

Now being a grown gardener, I realise that things that were twee in childhood (like dandelion seeds) can be non benign.

Description
A protective bubble wrapping for the froghopper which sucks sap and distorts the young growth of flowering plants such as chrysanthemum, geum and solidago.

Symptoms
Cuckoo spit is a mass of frothy bubbles on stems of plants.

Treatment and control
Spray with a broad spectrum insecticide
Hose with a strong jet of water to wash off the hidden pests.

The frothy sap tastes nasty to deter predators. I checked my other plants, half are affected! especially the big ones. The spit is right under where the leaves start to split. I`ve hosed the bggers off, there are some on my other plants too.

That way they bugs have a chance of being eaten by predators, I hope.I think the dry weather is helping them heavy rain would wash a few off I think.

suggestions?
Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything about them. They're fairly harmless.
  • BallandChain
    BallandChain Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know I always wondered what that was on plants. I've seen it on the lavender growing outside and that's one mystery solved!
    Cuckoo spit
    Plants affected: Affects many plants in early summer.

Symptoms: Frothy white ‘spittle’ on plant stems in early summer.

Prevention/Control: A yellowish insect lives inside the froth where it sucks on the sap. It looks more serious than it is. If you can be bothered, wash the ‘spittle’ off with a hose. Otherwise leave it, because it causes no damage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/module6/common_pests4.shtml
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport