We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Blueberry help

Options
I would like to plant a blueberry bush into a container and have spotted a few types on Ebay. Can anyone give me an idea of the size of pot that I would need to plant it in, what variety would be best etc. I know they like acidic soil so what type of compost would I need?

Everything to do with gardening is new to me but I'm learning fast so any hints or tips would be welcome!

Comments

• ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had my blueberry in about 30cm diameter pot for the last two years. It was the dwarf 'Top hat' variety.

The compost you need is called ericaceous.
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have mine in square decorative slate pot, about 15"x15".
    Nothing to add on the compost side..
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most tap water is too alkaline for blueberries so use rain water on them.
  • wayne1983
    wayne1983 Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Most tap water is too alkaline for blueberries so use rain water on them.

Which could be a problem at the moment with the weather:eek:.
    Im going to order the top hat variety too as they are ideal for me.:beer:
    2016 Money challenge - £290
  • markandkate
    markandkate Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    YOu need to keep them in pots as the compost must not get mixed with ordinary soil. It is an ericaceous compost that you need. Rainwater is certainly preferred and you should try and find a way of collecting some if you don't have a water butt
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is the first year I've grown them too. I have 3 different varieties in 12" buckets at the moment - I read that although they are self-fertile they produce better fruit if planted with other cultivars to cross-pollinate. Interestingly it's the "late" variety that has all the flowers on at the moment too. Hmmm :undecided
  • ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't used the rain water on mine, and it is fine. We have acidic soil a bit, so this year we actually got rid of leylandiis and put the heathers and blueberries in the bed. I added some more ericaceous compost in the soil and mixed before planting, and one I removed the fabric I have added another bag.

5a2b6d.jpg
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • wayne1983
    wayne1983 Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    Options
    2016 Money challenge - £290
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't get too hung-up about hard water. They would rather have tap water than no water at all and when you add a suitable liquid fertiliser (Miracle-Gro Ericaceous is pretty good) that will help counteract any problems tap water may have caused.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Don't get too hung-up about hard water. They would rather have tap water than no water at all and when you add a suitable liquid fertiliser (Miracle-Gro Ericaceous is pretty good) that will help counteract any problems tap water may have caused.

I was just going to post the same.
    No rain for weeks here in London, which isn't uncommon and every year mine get tap water in between showers and are fine. Tap water is much better than a dead plant due to lack of rain ;)

Mine are in a 18" square pot, feed with ericaceous food and have little berries on them :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure