We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Can you help me save some money on veggies this year??

Options
Hi everyone

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to growing fruit and veg. For the last couple of years we have had a few tomato and strawberry plants, but that's it really and they haven't done too well.
This year we have bought 2 mini greenhouse and LOADS of seeds. So far we have quite a few tomato plants, some courgette, cucumber and radishes growing.
I've been trying to find out the best way to get good crops this year by Googling, but am just confusing myself really :(
I wondered if I listed what I have, could I possibly get some help with the best way to store them, if they want to be in or out of the greenhouse, how many should be in each pot etc. I am a bit of a numpty really :rotfl:
Mummy to 3 fabulous boys all under 4 :eek:

Comments

• LittleBit_2
    LittleBit_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2011 at 5:32PM
    Options
    Ok, so in seeds we have courgette, lettuce, radish, tomato, broccolli, beetroot, cauliflower, carrots, onions, brussell sprouts, spring onions. All these have yet to be looked at, but I have just bought some little seed trays and inserts today, so was going to plant them this evening and stick them in the airing cupboard. Will they be ok in there in the dark??
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    Also, will all of the above be ok to be planted in pots?

I have some radishes that seem to be growing ok, but they look to be poking out of the top of the tubs now. Do I just need to put some more soil on the top? Thanks
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    First thing - is it a proper greenhouse or a blowaway?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    Not a proper greenhouse, a little plasticy thing. Well 2 of them actually. I have biggish heavy stuff on the bottom ATM so hopefully they won't blow over
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    courgette - can be sown in the blowaway, in small pots and can go into the garden after the last frost date for your area

lettuce, radish, tomato, broccolli, beetroot, cauliflower, onions, brussell sprouts, spring onions - can be sown in seed trays/pots; and can go into the garden as soon as big enough...they don't need the blowaway, although onions can go in them and be take out as soon as germinated.

carrots, should really be sown in their final positions - and can be done so now.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    Ah - we don't actually have any borders of anything we can plant them in. We will only be doing pots..... Should they all be ok to stay in there?
  • gazza975526570
    gazza975526570 Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LittleBit wrote: »
    Ah - we don't actually have any borders of anything we can plant them in. We will only be doing pots..... Should they all be ok to stay in there?

I could be proved wrong (i grow at an allotment - not in pots)

But i doubt sprouts and caulis can be grown well in pots (Sprouts grow fairly tall)

You would also need a big plant for corgettes - one plant per large pot as they grow very big. You would also need a lot of water

Onions i wouldnt have bothered with in pots - they are so cheap to buy anyhow.

Salads are probably your best bet - grow quickly and can be expensive to buy (cut and come again salad is one of the best in pots)
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't break it to you any gentler, but I don't think you have a hope with sprouts, caulis or broccoli.

If the courgette is the newer climbing variety maybe, but if it's a normal you will want a pot at least 2.5ft x 2.5ft ( is that 75cm x 75cm in foreign?); with a depth of at least 18 inches (ummmm 45cm?).

All the rest you may have a chance with, so long as the pots are big enough and deep enough.

However, they will need watering very regularly.

Cucumber (Marketmore) and Gherkins (Cornichon de Paris) should grow happily in a pot approx 12" diameter and similar depth, but will need a 4 - 5 ft wigwam twirled round with twine to give the tendrils something to cling to.
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are several books on container growing, and one of the seed catalogues does a special section for patio veg - can't remember which one though, but it's probably T&M, Suttons or Marshalls so have a look on line at what they have to offer.
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    We do have some MASSIVE pots, but at the moment they have potatoes in. If the sprouts, caulis and broccoli are no goes then I will pass them onto my sister as she has a bit of a veggie plot in her garden.

I wonder if it would be an idea to try and make a raised bed for them, or do you think I should just pass them onto someone else?

Thanks for all your help so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family