Selling without an Paypal account

Options
Mistral001
Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
I have a friend who has never bought or sold anything on ebay and wants to start selling a few items like old things she no longer uses.

I have told her she will need to set up a Paypal account. But does she need to?

I have used ebay for years to mostly buy but also sometimes sell old things I no longer need and have used paypal without any problems, but I was wondering if times have moved on since I started using ebay.

I know the commercial ebay sellers who sell using "Buy Now" rather than auctions complain about Paypal fees, but as far as I can see, in auctions on ebay if you do not offer Paypal when selling, you are likely to get fewer bids and thus less money for your item and lose out in the long run.

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    you wont be selling anything with no paypal account
  • Mistral001
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    you wont be selling anything with no paypal account

That's what I thought, but I have read so much about Paypal accounts being allegedly hijacked that I am a bit worried about advising my friend to start a paypal account.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have bought a few things on ebay without paypal , using cash on collection and postal orders, but i am reluctant to link a paypal account to my main bank account in case of problems.

Perhaps the answer is a separate bank A/C just for paypal.
  • alien1234
    alien1234 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    I am sure it will sell although hit rate will be lower. However, I am sure there is people will to take risks, they will be able to leave feedback at the end of day so why not pay with other payment methods?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but I have read so much about Paypal accounts being allegedly hijacked that I am a bit worried about advising my friend to start a paypal account.

you cannot sell on eBay without a Paypal account
    its been that way for some time
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to just restate what custardy has already said. For about the past 3 years it has not been possible to sell on ebay unless you have a paypal account unless you are selling in the motor vehicle category.

Therefore if OPs friend wishes to sell she/he needs a paypal account.

However if OPs friend is unsure about how to stay safe using the internet generally then she may well be wise to maybe stick to car boot sales or personal ads. I would certainly not force anyone to use ebay if they are new to being online. I would go further and even say it might not be an idea to even buy on ebay, as without a paypal account the buyer will be forced to use unsafe payment methods.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mistral001
    Options
    Custardy and soolin and all others who have replied

Thanks for your input. I started to sell on ebay about five or six years ago, so looks like I am behind the times. It is clear now to me that it is compulsary now to offer Paypal when selling except in certain circumstances. Before starting this thread I googled my query about selling and Paypal and there were lots on conflicting answers coming up, but I think they were out of date.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like to add that you shouldn't believe everything you read about ebay and paypal.
    When I was a new seller I became really worried because I thought you could very easily have your ebay / paypal accounts suspended, or highjacked, etc.
    In most cases there are good reasons when accounts are suspended or closed. There are small number of cases when the reason is not apparent, and the seller has done nothing wrong, but I would say they are not as frequent as you'd think.
    On the ebay forum often people post with their selling ID, and in most cases when they do, you can see straight away that they are crap sellers, and it's a good thing that they've been given the boot. Not always, but nearly.

PP operate almost outside UK laws, and have very odd practices, so cannot fully trusted, but anything you do has a level of risk.
  • in_the_Cotswolds
    Options
    adonis wrote: »

Perhaps the answer is a separate bank A/C just for paypal.

This is what I have done. It has no overdraft or cards linked to it so if it gets "hacked" they can't get anything out of it.
  • Mistral001
    Options
    mechanic wrote: »
    This is what I have done. It has no overdraft or cards linked to it so if it gets "hacked" they can't get anything out of it.

Yes I also use a separate bank account for paypal. Good idea if you can do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure