We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Anyone spotted cheap compost for baskets??

Options
lowbrim
lowbrim Posts: 489 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Has anyone seen any cheap compost this year I normally buy it in bulk form Wickes for my baskets but this year prices seem to have shot up. Anyone spotted any bargains?

Comments

• cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lidl xxxxxx
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get the best quality you can afford, mix in some swellgel and 6 month granules.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 April 2011 at 2:30PM
    Options
    I have just purchased some 50 litre bags of Westland Compost (with added John Innes?) for £5.98 at B&Q, however, they are selling them at buy two bags - get one free so 3 X 50ltr bags for just under £12.00 seems reasonable - plus there is a downloadable 15% voucher off everything for today only (B&Q website) which I also used and brought the price down a little further.

I am certainly no expert, but I suspect this product would be OK for baskets and despite cheaper products being available elsewhere, I was also told the same as what peter_the_piper suggested earlier - I suppose you only get what you pay for.
  • lowbrim
    lowbrim Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wicks have got there compost back in at 4 off 75litre bags for £13 and it is good compost just needs a bit of water retainer added, although it has got some in. This is a lot better than the Lidl that had been bulked up with woood chippings.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Just to clarify, are you sure it has water retainer in and not just the wetting agent they should all have. Don't forget the long term fertiliser (osmocote or equivalent) 6months one should do.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • TheGardenGnome
    Options
    Makro have 100 litre bags of J Arthur Bowers compost on buy one get one free at £6 inc VAT for those that can get access to them.
    Justice For The 96
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Don't forget to make your holes in the liner about 2" up from the bottom for water retention.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure