We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Pricking out Runner Beans

Options
Have started off some runner beans (too early !) indoors and they are really taking off (as I've posted here before). Now each one has two big leaves and are between 50-60cms high.

Am going to plant them out in about a week or so ...

Was wondering - for the future - when is the right time to pinch out the growing tips?

Comments

• splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    i don't sow my runner beans indoors - not worth the hassle when greenhouse is chocker with much more needy plants tbh

and i have never pinched the tops on runners either - where did you get that idea from exactly?
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • gazza975526570
    gazza975526570 Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agreed with above poster - no need to pinch out at all
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    Why would you pinch out the growing tips? Don't you want beans?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    OK will disagree with the other posters. I pinch out when the plant has reached the top of the bamboo sticks, Any taller I can't reach and by that time I want the plant to produce beans not growth.
  • Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    Don't pinch them out, well not until they are at least 1.2m tall. What I am more worried about are your plans to plant them. If you are South of Cambridge, then fine, but any further north it is potentially too cold at night, at least until mid May. ~Have you hardened them off? otherwise where ever you live it will be too much of a shock to them, you need to stand them out in the morning in a bright but not direct sunny area, and bring them in before it gets dark, for a week first. Then you should be able to plant them out.
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • gazza975526570
    gazza975526570 Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    OK will disagree with the other posters. I pinch out when the plant has reached the top of the bamboo sticks, Any taller I can't reach and by that time I want the plant to produce beans not growth.

Thats fair comment - but slightly different to the OP - that was meaning pinching out as you would say bedding plants to encourage bushier growth i suspect
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    hat was meaning pinching out as you would say bedding plants to encourage bushier growth i suspect

You may well be right ,will wait to see the OP reply.
  • splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    i agree with gazza post above - i assumed (in my initial post) that original poster was referring to a seedling pinch out rather than a mature plant pinching (and i call that stopping not pinching) ;)
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may be a bit early to plant out you will have to be ready with fleece/old sheets/curtains/cloches at night to nurse them through.
    I have only just planted my runners and french beans in toilet roll inards in the greenhouse to start off and they won't go out till mid May.
    I would plant them but get some more in now as a back up plan. After all never can have too many beans lol
    ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills